Greek residency

sailaboutvic

Visit site
This may be some help to some here .

We have found an excellent Greek/English translator/interpreter in Vonitsa who, for a small fee, will help with the process of gaining Greek residency or indeed any other issue that has to be dealt with in Greek. Her name is Danae Bitsi, tel +30 6978362628. Danaebitsi@gmail.com. She is an English graduate from Athens University and daughter of a Taverna owner here.

nortada

Visit site

We have found an excellent Greek/English translator/interpreter in Vonitsa who, for a small fee, will help with the process of gaining Greek residency or indeed any other issue that has to be dealt with in Greek. Her name is Danae Bitsi, tel +30 6978362628. Danaebitsi@gmail.com. She is an English graduate from Athens University and daughter of a Taverna owner here.

Hi Vic, From this post are we to understand you are planning to get Greek residency❓

grumpygit

Visit site

You don't need a translator or the cost and there is no need for any help, it is such a very easy process and can be done at the immigration dept which is usually within the main police stations in larger towns. We used the one at Nafplio, one single page to fill out which takes all of 5 minutes which is in english.

jordanbasset

Visit site
You don't need a translator or the cost and there is no need for any help, it is such a very easy process and can be done at the immigration dept which is usually within the main police stations in larger towns. We used the one at Nafplio, one single page to fill out which takes all of 5 minutes which is in english.
Hi, what did you use as an address?
When I tried they would not accept the quayside where my boat was moored, I did not have a marina contract at the time

grumpygit

Visit site
I have a Greek address so this was not an issue . . . This is what I meant by the need to adapt on the other thread. It's unnecessary to be running this against the other, it's confusing!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I have a Greek address so this was not an issue . . . This is what I meant by the need to adapt on the other thread. It's unnecessary to be running this against the other, it's confusing!
It's not confusing at all the other thread is mostly about Portugal, ok you may have a Greek address and it was easy for you but most don't have , nearly three years on and some are still having problem paying the tax .
Any help is very useful to them who needs it .
I think this lady could help with getting it one way or another .

Tony Cross

Visit site
Hi, what did you use as an address?
When I tried they would not accept the quayside where my boat was moored, I did not have a marina contract at the time
How can you be resident without an address?

It's also worth pointing out that you cannot (yet) apply for Greek residency. What you can (and should) do, since the UK is still following EU rules, is register as an EU citizen in Greece - that's what the buff coloured card actually is. After 5 years residence in Greece you get a blue coloured card, but that is just permanent residence for an EU citizen in Greece.

After December 2020 both cards will technically become invalid because UK citizens will no longer be EU citizens. Greece has indicated that a new biometric alien residence card is going to be introduced (the plan is for December 2020 but they'll almost certainly not make that) and that until this biometric card is available the buff and blue cards will continue to be accepted in Greece.

When the biometric cards are available Greece has said that the existing registration cards will be exchanged for the new biometric cards. What they haven't said is who will pay for the cards, it's almost certain that there will be a cost to us involved in getting a biometric card. They have also not said what additional checks they may require as proof that you are in fact resident in Greece. They could want to see tax returns, proof of money being transferred into Greek banks, utility bills, tenancy agreements, etc, etc.

It's unwise I think to believe that registering now will guarantee that Greece recognises you as resident after December 2020. I expect there to be more hoops to jump through.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
@Tony Cross I think your right regarding hoops , for people who moved on land in these countries it may be fine but for the like of them on boats it may be a very different story , and as each countrys look for way to increase revenues they may be a surprise to come .

grumpygit

Visit site

It's also worth pointing out that you cannot (yet) apply for Greek residency. What you can (and should) do, since the UK is still following EU rules, is register as an EU citizen in Greece - that's what the buff coloured card actually is. After 5 years residence in Greece you get a blue coloured card, but that is just permanent residence for an EU citizen in Greece.

After December 2020 both cards will technically become invalid because UK citizens will no longer be EU citizens. Greece has indicated that a new biometric alien residence card is going to be introduced (the plan is for December 2020 but they'll almost certainly not make that) and that until this biometric card is available the buff and blue cards will continue to be accepted in Greece.

When the biometric cards are available Greece has said that the existing registration cards will be exchanged for the new biometric cards. What they haven't said is who will pay for the cards, it's almost certain that there will be a cost to us involved in getting a biometric card. They have also not said what additional checks they may require as proof that you are in fact resident in Greece. They could want to see tax returns, proof of money being transferred into Greek banks, utility bills, tenancy agreements, etc, etc.

It's unwise I think to believe that registering now will guarantee that Greece recognises you as resident after December 2020. I expect there to be more hoops to jump through.

I think over complicating issues is not a necessary at this point as no one has the facts, all we have available is buff temporary residency card and I think is is a worthwhile acquirement. This allows you to stay past the 90 days and you can even own a Greek car/scooter if you wish.
The Greek government a while ago stated in parliament that there will no change in circumstances of UK residents in Greece after the transition period and trying to second guess future is misleading.
Yes we know they are going to be biometric cards and yes there most definitely will be a charge and why shouldn't there be?
You quote
"They could want to see tax returns, proof of money being transferred into Greek banks, utility bills, tenancy agreements, etc, etc."
Surely all this is to be expected and in part is in now, I do believe you have to now show any bank statement in credit to even get the buff card.
€60 p.a. pays for an accountant to do your tax return, unless you have earn't in Greece there will be zero tax to pay.
If you are living here one must expect to fill the legal criteria's, the UK is a perfect example of massive laxity in this control.
Don't panic, let's just see what happens

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site

Very similar to the situation in Portugal but after all of the exhortation to get temporary residency to see Brits into the new post-Brexit era, I would be surprised if they invented more hoops for the introduction of the biometric permit, which is an EU wide initiative to fit in with ETIAS database and has nothing to do directly with Brexit

If the authorities ervoke the existing residency documentation, then refuse to replace it with a biometric permit. This would force a mass exodus from that country, with lots of empty berths.

As we all know, EU residency is very much a national rather than EU issue so it is very much how much the country in question want you to remain.

As always, time will tell and like Greece, we are very unlikely to see the biometric permit anyday soon.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site

Thanks Vic.
As usual giving help and advice on here is turned into another argument.
Any idea what it costs?

nortada

Visit site
I think over complicating issues is not a necessary at this point as no one has the facts, all we have available is buff temporary residency card and I think is is a worthwhile acquirement. This allows you to stay past the 90 days and you can even own a Greek car/scooter if you wish.
The Greek government a while ago stated in parliament that there will no change in circumstances of UK residents in Greece after the transition period and trying to second guess future is misleading.
Yes we know they are going to be biometric cards and yes there most definitely will be a charge and why shouldn't there be?
You quote
"They could want to see tax returns, proof of money being transferred into Greek banks, utility bills, tenancy agreements, etc, etc."
Surely all this is to be expected and in part is in now, I do believe you have to now show any bank statement in credit to even get the buff card.
€60 p.a. pays for an accountant to do your tax return, unless you have earn't in Greece there will be zero tax to pay.
If you are living here one must expect to fill the legal criteria's, the UK is a perfect example of massive laxity in this control.
Don't panic, let's just see what happens

Agree, don't panic, don't panic. ?

Most agree, if you can do it, getting EU residency is probably a good move and if at a later date, you decide EU residency is not for you, you can revoke it or just let it lapse - what's there not to like.

Must admit, I do find the continual doom-mongering surrounding this subject depressing. Too like the Registered Users Forums and I don't go there very often.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
No idea
Thanks Vic.
As usual giving help and advice on here is turned into another argument.
Any idea what it costs?
I understand it's a very small cost , bob she has nothing to do with me , some cruisers have used her and pass the info on and I tho I be useful and add it here but some seen to think if it's not there idea then it's useless .
As you know I had nothing to do with Greece for three years and have no plans to go back there for the foreseeable future we'll not till the tax is reduced for my size boats