Greek/EU regs. Just checking please

Dave100456

Visit site
Confirmation that my understanding is correct please. Currently in Greece.
U.K. Reg boat, VAT paid, all uk citizens on board. DEKPA stamped in October 15 (presume still valid as one stamp per year rule?)
When I depart Greece for Italy in two weeks and then Malta, my understanding is I do not need to checkout of Greece or surrender DEKPA.
I presume I also do not need to "check in" to Malta or any other EU country I visit?
Thanks
Dave

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If I was you and you are planning to return to Greece because of the tax talk coming in again , I would check out of Greece , you may have a problem doing it , some PP don't like checking out boats .
If your not plainning to return , just go .
Malta we been going in and out of Malta almost each year for God know how long . Twice so far this year three times last year , No you do not need to check in if your an EU boat , what ever you read any where .
Has Richard have said you must in Croatia and at the first port , if not you likely to be fined .
Italy again no need to check in . Same for south of France

Last edited:

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
If I was you and you are planning to return to Greece because of the tax talk coming in again , I would check out of Greece , you may have a problem doing it , some PP don't like checking out boats .
If your not plainning to return , just go .
Malta we been going in and out of Malta almost each year for God know how long . Twice so far this year three times last year , No you do not need to check in if your an EU boat , what ever you read any where .
Has Richard have said you must in Croatia and at the first port , if not you likely to be fined .
Italy again no need to check in . Same for south of France

Vic, check inbox please! (Sorry folks, nothing to do with thread)

Tony Cross

Visit site
Confirmation that my understanding is correct please. Currently in Greece.
U.K. Reg boat, VAT paid, all uk citizens on board. DEKPA stamped in October 15 (presume still valid as one stamp per year rule?)
When I depart Greece for Italy in two weeks and then Malta, my understanding is I do not need to checkout of Greece or surrender DEKPA.
I presume I also do not need to "check in" to Malta or any other EU country I visit?
Thanks
Dave

If you are leaving Greece for another Schengen country then you need do nothing regarding the people on board (since they are all EU citizens). Since the boat is EU-flagged, VAT paid, and has a valid DEKPA stamp in the last 365 days (and you are remaining within the EU) you need to do nothing regarding the boat either

Dave100456

Visit site
Sorry for late response but internet is patchy here. Thank you for the replies.

Tony, thank you for confirming my understanding of the regulations. However, I have been told by Port Police here in Athens that I need to get exit stamp on DEKPA!!!

Since I will not be returning to Greece for more than a year, my DEKPA will have expired anyway and if I don't comply with their request I can't see there being a problem, can you?

Tony Cross

Visit site
Sorry for late response but internet is patchy here. Thank you for the replies.

Tony, thank you for confirming my understanding of the regulations. However, I have been told by Port Police here in Athens that I need to get exit stamp on DEKPA!!!

Since I will not be returning to Greece for more than a year, my DEKPA will have expired anyway and if I don't comply with their request I can't see there being a problem, can you?

None at all. This is Greece, just go with the flow. It's too hot to argue in any case. :)

Last edited:

macd

Visit site

Since they sound so keen to stamp it, you may as well follow Vic's advice:

Should the proposed new boat 'duty' be imposed in your absence, then you'd have proof you haven't been evading it. Can't do any harm.

Your current DEKPA would still be valid on your return, by the way: no need to buy a new one when you check in. Well, unless they invent an altogether new document for the new duty, and then forget to print any...;)

Tony Cross

Visit site
Should the proposed new boat 'duty' be imposed in your absence, then you'd have proof you haven't been evading it. Can't do any harm.

A good idea.

Your current DEKPA would still be valid on your return, by the way: no need to buy a new one when you check in. Well, unless they invent an altogether new document for the new duty, and then forget to print any...;)

This is quite true of course (that your DEKPA remains valid) however, if you leave Greece and then re-enter later the law allows the port police to charge you the DEKPA fee again, even if they don't supply you with a new document. Very few ports do this of course, and since you are no longer obliged to check in and out of every port any more, or get a stamp every 30 days (thank you CA) it's even less likely that this will bite you. But it could.