Greece tax on "luxury" boats

Heckler

Visit site
On the Beeb news, reporter with some big mobos behind in Greece. Going to tax boats like this he said!
Does that mean us yotties are finally going to get it in Greece?
S

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
On the Beeb news, reporter with some big mobos behind in Greece. Going to tax boats like this he said!
Does that mean us yotties are finally going to get it in Greece?
S

That wasn't some reporter, it was The Robert Peston. :)

He was talking about the Greek Government extending the luxury goods tax to boats. Will presumably only affect Greek resident taxpayers.

Richard

Last edited:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
K
That wasn't some reporter, it was The Robert Preston. :)

He was talking about the Greek Government extending the luxury goods tax to boats. Will presumably only affect Greek resident taxpayers.

Richard

This is supposedly the purpose of the cruising tax. No doubt those big mobos are Greek owned but registered somewhere else, which makes them exempt from a national luxury tax.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Apart from the cruising tax that is getting under way at the moment they can't tax assets that are not Greek registered.

There is a law, still on the books, that taxes yachts (and motor boats) but AFAIK it's suspended, or at least not implemented. The TPP (cruising tax) may or may not replace this tax, SYRIZA have already said (not surprisingly) that they plan to tax luxury yachts - though they haven't said how, nor whether they will implement the TPP.

If you (not the boat) spend more than 183 days in Greece you are automatically tax resident and you would then be liable to pay any luxury tax on your yacht. Whether the Greek government would attempt to enforce that is another matter, scaring visitors away from Greece is not in their interests and it's not going to be easy to a tax a foreigner with a moveable asset.

Max K

N/A
Visit site
There is a law, still on the books, that taxes yachts (and motor boats) but AFAIK it's suspended, or at least not implemented. The TPP (cruising tax) may or may not replace this tax, SYRIZA have already said (not surprisingly) that they plan to tax luxury yachts - though they haven't said how, nor whether they will implement the TPP.

If you (not the boat) spend more than 183 days in Greece you are automatically tax resident and you would then be liable to pay any luxury tax on your yacht. Whether the Greek government would attempt to enforce that is another matter, scaring visitors away from Greece is not in their interests and it's not going to be easy to a tax a foreigner with a moveable asset.

It would be insane, yes but this "Government?" can hardly be credited with any semblance of sanity so far in it's brief history of office.

Keep €1m in the bank and attract no tax; transfer it into the ownership of a yacht and in a few years it will be taxed out of existence. Bonkers - just think of all the marine industry workers, one of their leading employers, who will end up out of work.

Tsipras will be forced out of office by his own party if "the new deal" is instigated and then in another couple of years, it will all be re-run. They need to leave the Euro and do it as soon as possible.

The dear Greek people, in their darkest hour, chose to follow a "False Messiah". ALL of my Greek (& Cypriot, for that matter) friends say that. Let us hope that this dodgy car salesman look alike and his psycho henchman are soon removed from office.

Max.

Last edited:

Heckler

Visit site
It would be insane, yes but this "Government?" can hardly be credited with any semblance of sanity so far in it's brief history of office.

Keep €1m in the bank and attract no tax; transfer it into the ownership of a yacht and in a few years it will be taxed out of existence. Bonkers - just think of all the marine industry workers, one of their leading employers, who will end up out of work.

Tsipras will be forced out of office by his own party if "the new deal" is instigated and then in another couple of years, it will all be re-run. They need to leave the Euro and do it as soon as possible.

The dear Greek people, in their darkest hour, chose to follow a "False Messiah". ALL of my Greek (& Cypriot, for that matter) friends say that. Let us hope that this dodgy car salesman look alike and his psycho henchman are soon removed from office.

Max.

Are there any "colonels" poised ready to take over? Or are those days long gone?
S

Max K

N/A
Visit site
Are there any "colonels" poised ready to take over? Or are those days long gone?
S

I fear that because the Greek people have allowed themselves to be led by the nose by a succession of inappropriate politicians that we could be looking for a suitable candidate for a long time. The "Pursuit of Money" has certainly proved to have been the "root of (the) evil "in this case.

EDIT:

BTW, I'm bringing my injectors home at the end of the season to have them cleaned and re-set for the first time. Sadly both the old time diesel fitters in this area have ceased trading. Any recommendations?

Max.

Last edited:

Bitterend

Visit site
Hi Max, I'd recommend you stay away from any company with the word 'marine' in their banner. Best place is a truck repair depot near you, eg Diesco in Ipswich or Fastline Northampton Diesel (www.fastlinegroup.co.uk). Both companies offer excellent service for all things associated with most common diesel engine and I'm sure there are many similar companies dotted around the UK.

Jegs

Visit site
I fear that because the Greek people have allowed themselves to be led by the nose by a succession of inappropriate politicians that we could be looking for a suitable candidate for a long time. The "Pursuit of Money" has certainly proved to have been the "root of (the) evil "in this case.

EDIT:

BTW, I'm bringing my injectors home at the end of the season to have them cleaned and re-set for the first time. Sadly both the old time diesel fitters in this area have ceased trading. Any recommendations?

Max.

Google Sheaf [Sheffield] removed the initial smoke on my TMD41.

ATB,

John G

£65 ea. + vat & post for new nozzles & test.

Appleyard

Visit site

Max.

Well Steve, as my old grandpappy used to say..."If you could sook as well as you can blaw, "you could do them yourself.

charles_reed

Visit site
K

This is supposedly the purpose of the cruising tax. No doubt those big mobos are Greek owned but registered somewhere else, which makes them exempt from a national luxury tax.

Was moored up in Linaria, Skyros, next to an enormous Greek-crewed 56' power boat flying an upside-down union jack. Apparently just been bought in Athens, UK registered and the sellers had assured the buyer that the jack was the correct flag to fly. I did ask them to take it down!!
Yes UK is the yotties flag-of-convenience - it seems to have replaced Delaware.

charles_reed

Visit site

Max.

Well Steve, as my old grandpappy used to say..."If you could sook as well as you can blaw, "you could do them yourself.

Unfortunately, with modern common-rail head diesels in the majority you'll probably find the old-fashioned injector shop now non-existent, in the UK as well as Greece.
The two I knew of in the Black Country have both shut up shop!!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Unfortunately, with modern common-rail head diesels in the majority you'll probably find the old-fashioned injector shop now non-existent, in the UK as well as Greece.
The two I knew of in the Black Country have both shut up shop!!

There is an execellent one just outside Wrexham. They did my BMC injectors and seem to do a great deal of work, mostly on trucks I think.

RAI

Visit site
The troika words are:-
- extend implementation of luxury tax on recreational vessels in excess of 10 meters and increase the rate from 10%
to 13%, coming into effect from the collection of 2014 income taxes and beyond
I suppose it can only apply to Greek tax payers.

charles_reed

Visit site
The troika words are:-
- extend implementation of luxury tax on recreational vessels in excess of 10 meters and increase the rate from 10%
to 13%, coming into effect from the collection of 2014 income taxes and beyond
I suppose it can only apply to Greek tax payers.

The wording confirms my opinion of the utter incompetence of members of the bureaucratic troika.
Though I'm sure Dijsselboem is a very good failed agricultural economist.

RAI

Visit site
The wording confirms my opinion of the utter incompetence of members of the bureaucratic troika.
Though I'm sure Dijsselboem is a very good failed agricultural economist.
I think you will find that that proposal comes from T & V, They like taxing the rich.