Great Solent Sailing

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
It was fantastic wasn't it? You had to play the tides right of course - we left Yarmouth 8 AM Sunday and were back inside Portsmouth Hbr at 10:10 AM. !

I was surprised Yarmouth Hbr was full in October!

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif Roger Holden /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.first-magnitude.co.uk>First Magnitude</A>

zefender

Visit site
It was indeed a fab day. We popped over to Cowes from Portsmouth for lunch. Didn't think I'd be eating outside in the sun on 6trh October! Beautiful day. I think the weather forecasters got it a bit wrong. On Saturday, the forecast for Sunday was a cloudy 2-3, then on Sunday the forecast (for the day) changed to cloudy 5-6 with some rain. It was a pleasant surprise!

JeremyF

Visit site
I was going to say that!

One of the best weekends. Its great when the forecasts are wrong. To get sun, wind and warmth in Oct is great.

Is anyone going out tomorrow? The tides were spectacular on Sunday, and the peak is tomorrow.

Came into Portsmouth harbour at HW-2, and at one point was doing 10 kts SOG!

<font color=red>Jeremy Flynn/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
Dawn Chorus</font color=red>

stevebirch2002

www.albinvega.co.uk
Re: I was going to say that!

HI Jeremy

Taking a couple of friends to Cowes tomorrow so they can pick up a boat for delivery to Ireland! SHould see a bit a huge tide!! Lucky you didnt try and get into Portsmouth with the tide ripping out!! Southampton Water was bad enough. A great weekend and looking forward to many more. Where were all the other Albin Vegas?

Steve Birch

Albin Vega "Southern Comfort" V1703

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Sunday was a glorious day. Sailed from Hamble to Chichester in NE4/5 , sunshine and a flat sea. One of the best sails I've had all year , but I seem to think that every weekend at the moment. Will it ever end ?

nicho

Visit site
Thanks a bundle Steve - my boat does not get delivered until January, so I'm missing it all. In case any of you were in one of the hundreds of yachts sailing past Stokes Bay this week, self and the good wife were the pair of sad old 'Darby and Joans' sat in deck chairs on the beach(the ice cream from the caff there isn't bad). I hope the sun reflecting off my bins did not cause too many problems.

Frustrated, or what!!!

BrendanS

Visit site
Temporarily boatless too, we did next best thing and went for a walk on the coast. Headed up to St Albans head. Amazing watching the tidal race there from a different perspective (though not too rough on Sunday). The missus now has a much clearer idea of what tidal races are, why I plan before hand, and could see how far out it reached.

Interestingly, all the yachts without expection went straight through on a course which guaranteed they would take greatest distance/time in the rough bit, while the small powerboats all went through inside passage for a comfortable ride. Most of the big powerboats just cut straight through, but then again were only in it for a minute or two, and didn't seem much affected anyway.

Could have spent all afternoon there watching (the coast guard station there is manned by volunteers.....almost tempted to inquire further), but was eventually dragged off for a cream tea in Worth.

G

I agree, brilliant weekend - the sort that really makes you appreciate Mondays mornings.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Patience Mike , your time will come. I was in the same situation last year , boatless all summer and took delivery of new boat 9th November last year. I managed to get in at least 2 sails/month over the winter months. Get the winter woolies ready.