I Apologise To GC1

• I Apologise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Do Not Appolgise In Any Way

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

StewartC

www.mby.com
Long distance leisure boaters like the Flanders seem to be growing in number by the day. Why is this? Is it that long distance cruising has just become too easy? Or is there another reason for this rise in people chasing the sunset?

As always, the results will be printed in an upcoming issue of MBM.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I don't think long distance cruising has become more popular because it's 'too easy'. I think it's all to do with disposable income. As a result of increasing prosperity, there are simply more people about with the wherewithal to chase their dream. When you no longer have to worry about how you're going to put your next meal on the table, you can think about other things
I suspect also that GPS has something to do with it in that it's quite difficult to get lost these days and, certainly, there are more boat builders around offering bluewater cruising boats but whether thats in response to demand or promoting demand I dunno

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Lots of reasons I reckon. Greater prosperity, better health at older ages, English more widely spoken everywhere, better nav aids, more and cheaper flights to get home, better rescue services, better weather forecasts, even TV has an effect with documentaries/ travel programmes making the world seem smaller.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
As the lads have said some folk have been blessed with both the time and resources to realise their dreams. Good luck to them. Crossing oceans in a small displacement motor boat is not easy, and not as safe or comfortable as on a sailing yacht. At 8 kt when the weather does it's thing there is nowhere to hide or run to, so you have to just ride it out. Someday I'd love to take on long range cruising in a displacement mobo but with a decent set of stabilisers!

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
I wouldn't think it is because it has become too easy, setting off into the wild blue yonder is a daunting experiance no matter how many nav aids and gadgets you have on board.

The sea is a cruel master and takes no account of how many gizmos you have, getting caught out crossing Biscay in a storm is just as dangerous today as it was fifty years ago, perhaps more so as more and more less experienced people set off accross the oceans.

More people are doing it partly because of more disposable income and early retirement while you are fit enough to still do it. Secondly, builders are now offering smaller vessels at what are very reasonable figures considering their ability and durability capable of trans ocean voyages, previously it was a converted trawler type affair or a hugely expensive custom build.

Irrespective, ocean passages are not to be taken on lightly, a lot of planning and preperation is required, there is no way of getting off and no one coming to get you in time if it all goes wayward.

peterb26

www.theblundells.co.uk
I dont think its got too easy. You still need the same basic knowledge and experience regardless of how accurate the position shown on your GPS is!

Mind you - reading the notes, they get something less than 4nm per gallon at their 6.5kts cruise, so the fuel bill is going to be phenomenal.............

24,000 miles round the world, allow for detours - call it 36,000 miles.

"Fill her up please, 10,000 gallons should do it".........