Greased chain.

OldBawley

Visit site
Watching this vid I had the impression the guy had greased his anchor chain.

https://vimeo.com/139102400

Have seen the same thing on Turkish Gullets.
Need a new chain, ( nr five) so was thinking of maybe, greasing the new chain with some non stinking grease. Could be the chain would coil smoother into the anchor pit.
Anyone heard of greasing a chain ?
Would it not take up sand and other stuff ?

boatmike

Visit site
If chain is properly galvanised it should last for quite a few years. Grease will only attract sand and muck.

OldBawley

Visit site
Galvanising is not the issue.
We anchor 365/ 365, so after 4 to 5 years each chain link is worn down from 8 to 7 or 6 mm at the contact point. So the chain gets longer, jumps in the gipsy and starts turning.
Grease would not help against the wear, nothing can ( except mooring in a marina )
The windlass is a manual SL Seatiger, failing impossible.
The Turkish Gullets who lay miles of chain do sometimes grease the chain, probably to avoid blocked heaps of chain in the anchor locker.

Squeaky

Visit site
The Turkish Gullets who lay miles of chain do sometimes grease the chain, probably to avoid blocked heaps of chain in the anchor locker.

Good afternoon:

I suspect that statement is not supported by any research and is nothing more than an assumption and we all know what happens when one does that.

What possible advantage would greasing the chain provide?

Cheers

Squeaky

prv

Visit site

Help it slither down into a more compact heap in the anchor locker, as OB says. Rich moboists sometimes fit stainless chain for the same reason, as it's more slippery than galvanised.

I think the disadvantages significantly outweigh that advantage, but a small advantage it is.

Pete

rigman

Visit site
Watching this vid I had the impression the guy had greased his anchor chain.

https://vimeo.com/139102400

Have seen the same thing on Turkish Gullets.
Need a new chain, ( nr five) so was thinking of maybe, greasing the new chain with some non stinking grease. Could be the chain would coil smoother into the anchor pit.
Anyone heard of greasing a chain ?
Would it not take up sand and other stuff ?
You will leave a trace of oil in the water. In the old days we used pour old engine oil into the drilling rig chain lockers to help stowing. Stopped many moons ago due to regulations. It used to make a hell of a mess but was effective.

OldBawley

Visit site
Good afternoon:

I suspect that statement is not supported by any research and is nothing more than an assumption and we all know what happens when one does that.

Cheers

Squeaky

Not an assumption.

In April 2010 we ware anchored in Göcek.
Just after dark a luxury gullet came next to us and anchored. They ware way to close to us so I rowed the dingy over to ask what they ware up to.
The guys on the bow had some fun, then told me they would leave immediately. While I was just a few yards away, they let the whole ( Big ) chain of the starboard side slip into the water.
Told me the owner had bought stainless chain. Off they went.
Next morning I had a look at the big pile of chain. Just 10 feet of water, so I even had a quick dive. Turned out the whole chain was abundantly greased ( and as good as new )
Way to heavy for any yacht, our boat would have sunk.
A bit later an other Gullet came and picked the chain up.