GRAND BANKS 42 -Driving Practice

G

In just over a month, we're off to Florida and chartering a GB42 (didn't have any classy boats like Broom 42). If anyone needs crew for a GB42, I'll be delighted to oblige, particularly if there is any driving to do :0)

tcm

Visit site
right so your 29, he's just old.

still no nearer a drive on a GB 42. But Fairview in Hamble have (or had) a 36 trawlery thing to rent?

You'll just have to bluster through. Whatever they tell you, respond with "Well, it certainly wouldn't be like that on MY boat!" and curse the lack spare staysail or whatever. Run the engines for ages and ages. Then into neutral, all lines off, and set off at 12knots. Continue.

ArthurWood

Visit site
It'll be a doddle. Your main problem here will be lack of water under the boat if you don't watch the markers. As I told F71 in a PM a little while back, it's not unusual in this part of Florida to be travelling the ICW with short-legged birds walking beside you not 20ft away! We experienced it this morning, in fact up Tampa way. There's always help to be had at the marinas and don't be afraid to call ahead for it. Normally there is a dockhand/harbourmaster waiting to help you in and to connect up power, water, TV etc - $2-3 tip is acceptable. There's very little in the way of current to worry about, but wind can be a bit of a problem, but not for someone who is used to boating in the UK. You'll love it!

tcm

Visit site
Re: Oh god, the blimmin tipping

I hope this eventually stops getting on your nerves AW? I hate it. In America I found myself giving a tip for somone becuase they took another tip to their boss! There's never a fixed price, and I always feel that it's "not enough". Once, I didn't give a tip cos the service was dead slow, and they bloke came back and loudly pointed out that i hadn't given a tip.

Another time the food was a bit dry and nasty, so we complained, and they called the cops. The cops said that it was normal to have crap food inthis particular restaurant, so we paid up.

Falcon71

Visit site

You're right, it's been quite a few years and I'd forgotten all about that little habit. Always demanded for pretty average to appalling service.

ArthurWood

Visit site

Matt - I must admit that when we first came here I hated it and had a couple of run-ins with wait staff. One particular incident was when I was hosting a company dinner for 20+ employees in an upmarket restaurant in N. Carolina; the service was awful, so when presented with the bill to which they had added 20% "gratuity" I crossed it off and made it 5%. The head waiter took me to one side and asked why and I told him and then he pointed out that in small print on the menu it said that for parties of 8 or more a "gratuity" of 20% would be added. I pointed out that "gratuity" is what I choose to pay and "service" is what they charge, but I might as well have been speaking Urdu, because he didn't understand the difference. I lost the argument. Most restaurants, in that kind of situation, however will accept whatever you give, esp if svc crap. Had another instance at the restaurant in our marina, when the waiter wrote at the bottom of the bill 15%=$x
18%=$y, 20%=$z ( don't remember the numbers). I wrote
bad service=$0. I haven't seen him since!
I do think however that tipping does work. I have never come across a surly waiter/tress, dock hand. They are always willing to help and in restaurants, once you have got past "my name is so and so and I'll be your server this evening" to which I sometimes reply "my name is AJW and this is and this is and this is etc and we'll be your customers tonight" (which is a waste of breath because it goes over their heads) they can't do enough for you. On a number of occasions my wife or I have chosen something from the menu, got part way through it and found it was not to our taste (nothing wrong with it) and they simply replace it free of charge with something else. I do not, like some of our friends, automatically leave 18%; I give what I think the service was worth and sometimes it's 5%. Wait staff are in fact taxed on estimated tips, so they might get upset if you leave nothing! As for marina staff I think they are great. They are poorly paid, usually have two, perhaps three jobs and do a great job of helping with the docking and hookup process. How many marinas in Europe have that level of svc? I don't begrudge then $3 for their help.
Back to wait staff, professionals are few and far between, most being students of one kind or another, and there are usually far more per table or customer that in a European restaurant. They are intrusive, but it gives the impression of efficiency, and good svc which Americans like. It's their country, after all. We don't dine out much!! The restaurant we dined at last night is the exception. Decorated like a Fench/Swiss bordello (I imagine!), incredible food, pretty good service with two staff and very low prices. And it only took 80gal petrol to get ther and back:)