grade of diesel fuel

Tucepi

Visit site
Heard a rumour that a local mariner to me has taken to buying lower grade diesel fuel. Few boats are moaning that this has caused problems with their eberspacher heating systems.

I didn't think diiferent grades of diesel fuel were around. Is their 3 types of graded fuel?

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Sounds like a load of rubbish. Diesel is diesel. Even if some Co's try to market it into city diesel or other.

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

Alistairr

Visit site
Diesel is Diesel!! Thats not the case. hlb!

There is a massive differrence in the quality of red industrial diesel and white commercial diesel, Red diesel is not a clean.
I had this conversation only a couple of nights ago with my uncle who works for eberspacher, he is fitting a heater into my petrol sports boat for me, The heater runs on diesel so he is fitting a 1 gallon tank for it. when talking about filling it with diesel i said red will be cheap to run, and he said don't us red as it cause a lot of problems with their heaters they fit in boats, use white diesel it is cleaner and purer, they seldom get problems with heaters fitted into truck and buses.
I have a truck with a heater fitted, he fitted it 8 years ago, it has never been serviced and we have never had a problem with it.

<hr width=100% size=1>CHEERS. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hamptonandmcmurray.co.uk>Hampton and McMurray</A>

Den

Visit site
I'm sorry for the intrusion on this board, but I am trying to post a new topic and cannot find out how to do this. I want to gather as much information on marinising diesel engines for a 20' cabin cruiser. Does anyone know of any sources of information , please. Can you post this for me please?
This looks like a good site, but accessing it is tortuous for new people!
Thanks Den Moran

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Welcome. Posting a new message is easy. If you look at your screen you will see almost at the top on the left a small white symbol with the word 'post' next to it. Click that symbol and it will open up for you. You then give your message a title and pose your question. As to your question try posting it on the practical boat owners forum. Good luck.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Just one comment, I did some tests on a product that that claimed to improve the performance of diesel some time ago. We used ocean going tugs, so large amounts were tested in a short time.

The product turned out to be a bit of a lemon. However, as part of the tests I had the calorific value (and a number of other tests) for each batch tested. the variation found was almost twice that claimed by the lemon product.

Conclusion, even purchasing diesel from the same company/manufacturer will have a huge variation in quality. As a result of these findings we negotiated an agreement to purchase diesel not by volume but by calorific value, this can be more than a 7%
increase in volume.

Just thought you might be interested. as someone said, diesel aint diesel...

Avagoodweekend. Old Salt oz.../forums/images/icons/cool.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

Forbsie

Visit site
Welcome Den.

I'm in the middle of marinising an engine at the moment. If you still have a problem posting, reply to this and we'll talk you through it.

Gordon

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

Den

Visit site
Thanks Gordon,
I'm the proud owner of a Norman 20 and have little idea of how to marinise a diesel, apart from the fact that it can be a car engine such as a l5or l6 BMC ( van ) engine. I also know that Watermota supply conversion kits.
I'm looking for a combination sterndrive/engine that will drive the boat at about 15mph at sea, but will also behave itself on the quieter inland waterways.
I seem to be looking for a 30-50 hp diesel with an enfield or equivalent s/drive, so HELP with a big H!
Thanks,
Den

<hr width=100% size=1>

Den

Visit site
Thanks Byron,
the problem is that I do not have a 'post' symbol on the screen in the top left or any other corner - its most frustrating!
Its saying that 'HTML is disabled' - whatever that means!!!
Den.
PS Next to the main index is a flashing postcard, but thats only telling me I've received a message from the administrator!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Col

Visit site
The "post" symbol is at the top of the main heading page (with the lists of threads under neath) This page is actually a thead, so post symbol isn't there. (press your "back " button on your browser)
OK?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>

Col

Visit site
Smarty pants<BG>. NM

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>