Grab Bag

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
This should probably be added to the current list of things. I have accepted I can not make Carrie unsinkable (4.5tons in 23feet), so will need to prepare a grab bag or two.

Bag One. Bright yellow type. Radio hand held, GPS hand held spare batteries, EPRAB On me. Sea sick tablets, flares. torch I have a very neat led torch that flashes SOS, Food, water.

Hold All: More food, water, fishing kit hand line hooks etc. Kite I can then send up the SOS torch at night, Mylar radar reflector or Ball over square during the day. Spare clothes, sun cream, first aid box.

I had thought about a solar still, but they are expensive and by all accounts not much good. I have thought about attaching a fender to the water containers linked in a daisy chain, so if I have time I can have them floating alongside.

Tahitibelle

Visit site
Make sure there is enough air space in the water containers to ensure they float and they are strung together to the liferaft.
Keep, passport, C cards, money etc in a waterproof pouch around your neck, not in the grab bag and a waterproof hand held VHF in your pocket if you have to go over the side.

andlauer

Visit site
To CLIMB in the life raft

Make sure there is enough air space in the water containers to ensure they float and they are strung together to the liferaft.
Keep, passport, C cards, money etc in a waterproof pouch around your neck, not in the grab bag and a waterproof hand held VHF in your pocket if you have to go over the side.

"To go over the side " is a premature attitude. I would rather prefer "to climb in the life raft".
Eric

PS: If you ever tried a life raft (I tried offshore Aberdeen, in July, in a rescue training) you will never ever consider it as a "safe" environment but as a safety last issue.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Bag One. Bright yellow type. Radio hand held, GPS hand held spare batteries, EPRAB On me. Sea sick tablets, flares. torch I have a very neat led torch that flashes SOS, Food, water.

Hold All: More food, water, fishing kit hand line hooks etc. Kite I can then send up the SOS torch at night, Mylar radar reflector or Ball over square during the day. Spare clothes, sun cream, first aid box.

Recently did a sea survival course and it was suggested that fishing kit is not a great idea - fish is salty so you need to drink more water which you havent got. Suggested take high carbohydrate snacks as the body uses least water to metabolise and that most of us can go 20 to 30 days without food anyway.

Righting a liferaft was interesting when dressed in foulweather gear, once only suit, lifejacket etc. Decided that my existing 150N lifejacket is not enough and a 275N one is now on the Christmas list.