GPS USB

Steve_D

Visit site
Agreed its a first class bit of kit. I haven't found the 8Mb a problem, just have to be a bit choosy about which areas to download e.g on my drive to scotland I do the southcoast around whichever port the ferry comes into. East kilbride cos thats where we take a break and then fill the rest up with the inlaws area. The rest I rely on the base map.

I like the fact that you can get the basic nav points for europe as a download. When not using it elsewhere I'll keep them loaded on the legend and take out on the boat as a backup GPS, alternatively I will load up all of my routes from the 176C again as a backup. I haven't found a way to get the Nav points and the routes on at the same time but I'll keep looking.

Regards

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
I have been using the 176C in thebcar for twp months now, i have the Map Source Europe maps from my e-map, and the chips are the same as the e-map. I did find I had to buy a 64mb chip as the road maps hold so much more info, I think you need 72mb for the whole Uk, have put Scotland on my spare 32mb chip.

Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

martynwhiteley

Visit site
Oh Happy Daze [smile]

Thank you for the loan Happy1.

I did get it to work fine (both upload/download) on my Compaq Evo Laptop running XP Pro.

The Garmin drivers proved no good, and a check on their web site gave (unusually) no help.

I searched for XP drivers on Yahoo, and came up with an XP driver for the U232-P9 on "mct.com.tw".

After some jiggleing to force it to use COM1, and adjusting the data speed setting, it started talking!

Now upgraded the Legend to version 3.10.

I did note that Maplin have an offer of a USB to RS232 adapter for £19.99 at the moment, and seeing that the Garmin lead is really just a generic adapter, I suspect the Maplin version will also work. I'll give it a try....

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue>Oh well, maybe next weekend....</font color=blue>

martynwhiteley

Visit site
Beware

Just an update to save anyone wasting money at Maplin....

I purchased the £19.99 USB-RS232 adapter from Maplin as noted in previous post.

As yet I have NOT been able to get this one to talk to the Garmin.

Happy1's note (by PM) that Garmin believe their adapter has been 'specially tweaked', now looks likely.

Maplin supply a number of other makes of adapters, from £30 upwards, but how many do you keep trying?

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue>Oh well, maybe next weekend....</font color=blue>

jfm

Visit site
Re: Garmin 176c software

Happy I bort a 176c at the boat show. Have used it for boating, it's fantastic piece of kit imho and miles better than the magellan Nav6000 plotter that I had before it. I haven't used it in cars becuase already have another sat nav in there

What's this version 4 that you mention? Is it a software upgrade for the 176c? How do I get it? I still have one chart chip that I have not yet used ("activated"?) in the 176c yet, so I guess i should wait before using it, right?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Steve_D

Visit site

I'm not sure about version 4 that Happy is talking about I presume thats for the charts.

The latest version of the software is 3.01beta and you can get it from

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.garmin.com/support/download.jsp>http://www.garmin.com/support/download.jsp</A>
then select the appropriate software for your machine

This is a beta version but is probably ok I would push any data routes etc up onto your computer just in case.

Regards

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>

Steve_D

Visit site
Re: Beware

Mine works ok but I recall that it could be a bit temperamental.
(os win 2k pro)

Mine is an unbadged taiwanese export no info other than '7ST-DH-005' on it sorry packaging is long gone.

usual stuff

Have you tried rebooting with the plugged adapter in?
any updated drivers available on the net?
the ' unpug it, reboot, power down, plug it in, boot, swear at it' routine?

Can't think of anything else off hand

good luck

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>

martynwhiteley

Visit site

Thanks 4 the advice Steve, but tried all the usual tricks.

The subject of USB devices running on XP seem's a far more wide spead problem than just Garmin/GPS's.

I've struggles for ages trying to get Nokia 6310 and 7650 phones to talk the the laptop and indeed the desktop, via either USD/IRDA or USB/Bluetooth adaptors.

With the help of our IT pro at work (who spent all weekend on it), we eventually got the 6310 to talk via IR, but not Bluetooth. After downloading latest Nokia drivers for the 7650, it began to talk, but then crashes during photo download.

(All our laptops with in-built IR units work fine with the Nokia's.)

I have had similar problems with odd-ball digital cameras (eg. Umax), that sometimes work on first boot, but then crash. Mainstream one e.g. Kodak, seem better sorted.

I used to be better able to fix conflicts in 95/98, but XP has me beat. It seems as if there is something running in the background that trips up the USB device every few seconds.

As an aside issue, 'Bluetooth' would seem to be an ideal interface for marine electronics, but they appear slow to catch on, or is it not reliable enough yet?

Happy1

N/A
Visit site

I have now been told that the new software version for the South coast of England zone will be called version 5, It is due to be launched at the beginning of April now, and will include tides on it. You have to download the update for your unit from the Garmin site to have the use of the tides, this update should come out at the same time as the Version 5. As long as you have NOT activated an older version, they will upgrade it free to the one shown on their website at THAT TIME. e.g if you unlock say version 4 which you had unlocked, and tomorrow version 5 appears, tough luck. If however you had version 4 which you had NOT unlocked and saw that version 5 was now issued, you could contact Garmin and they will send you an upgrade CD free. So best to wait I think. You will need the data cable to update your 176C hard drive. You can look on their site and check out the newest cersion available, it also tells you how to check what version is on yours and an easy guide to updating.

Good Luck.

Any problems PM me

<font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

tcm

Visit site
Re: \"includes tides\" ?

wd be interested how they do this. They can't (can they?) adjust depths depending on the time cos of course the depth wd be dependent on time into the future. Showing normal depths at LAT as they do now wd seem best, imho.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site

Version 4 WAS CHARTS, this will now be version 5 from April. I so happpend to speak to Garmin yesterday as they were due to launch the new version in early March, it will now be April they say. SO there is a hardware update and a software update. As I said the hardware update to enable you to make use of the tide facility on the charts is not available yet and should come out at around the same time as the Version 5 chart.

Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

Steve_D

Visit site

Do you have the charts on CD then? I bought mine on the chip with the unit so it looks as though I will have to pay for the update. Mind you I did get a very good price on it.

Regards

Steve D

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site

If you have NOT activated I think they will still exchange it for you, chip or CD. The chip version 5 is ready (although not released), I am being sent a version 5 chip (chart) to try out by Garmin, whilst awaiting the upgrade. I will report back on what is on it, I should have it tomorrow. BUT I will not be able to use the tides as I will still have to wait for the hardware update, not yet released, so perhaps not a lot to report.

Happy1

N/A
Visit site

Martyn, as I said I spent hours and hours on that problem. Keep the lead I sent you until you are happy that you have tried all the others, it does seem to be XP that gives the problem. At one time they blamed my PDA Microsoft Activesync on it, I spent hours trying to disable programs running in the background with the help of their technical guys, but no joy. At least you have one that works now.

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Bluetooth

Silva has gone this route although I'm not sure if its prototype box, unveiled well over one year ago, has made it into production. Some other electronic companies muttering about Bluetooth but others pointing out it is still quite buggy and also quite power hungry (in relative terms).

Tacktick rejected Bluetooth in favour of its own bespoke wireless protocol for its new Micronet instruments due to speed, power consumption and network integrity issues.

<hr width=100% size=1>