GPS - repair or replace?

mick

Visit site
I have a malfunctioning fixed GPS Navigator (Simrad - model Shipmate RS5800C). Simrad have quoted £65 to replace the internal battery. Would this be sensible or should I replace the set? How do handhelds compare with fixed sets in effectiveness?

LORDNELSON

Visit site
Mick, sometimes small repair shops are cheaper for replacing internal batteries. I had one replaced a year ago in another make of GPS(Micrologic ML-250 GPS) and it cost £25 including postage - it is still working well. You could ask the same chap, his name and address is/was: Mr. D. Holden, Swale Marine(electrical), Old Stable,, North Road, Queenborough, Kent ME11 5AG. Tel: 01795-580030

zvidoron

Visit site
I use a Garmin 12 handheld very successfuly. If you want a fixed one the Garmin 126/128 are excellent and not expensive. All of them are 12 channels and very user friendly.

No I do not work for Garmin.

mick

Visit site
Aztec, unfortunately the instrument is with the Simrad repair people as I sent it to them to find out what was wrong with it. If I had known the battery was faulty I would certainly have tried replacing it myself. Cheers.

G

Can't you get it back and then change battery yourself !!!! ??????????