GPS receiver for XM DSC radio

Avocet

Visit site
Hi all,

I've just bought an XM DSC VHF and it comes with a connector on the back which can take NMEA signals from a GPS to give it positional data. It only needs two wires apparently! The manual says "GPS "+" to the yellow wire and "-" to the green wire".

This sounds so simple, even I could do it! Now I then started thinking that as I don't have a fixed GPS on the boat, I vaguely remembered seeing an advert for a "receiver-only" GPS somewhere or other. I've looked on the Maplin and RS websites but I'm sure somebody somewhere sells a cheap unit that can be mounted externally and just contains a GPS receiver and antenna (no display or buttons or anything, just some wires). I think they are sold to people who want to DIY themselves some in-car navigation.

Does anyone know where I can get one and has anyone done this exercise with an XM unit already? Any advice woud be greatly appreciated!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sammy

Visit site
I use a hand held with the nema data wire connected, also to the radar and auto pilot. This also provides 12 volt power to save the batteries. I stick it back in my sailing bag when I go home so I can then programme the next sail.

<hr width=100% size=1>www.chertseymeadsmarine.co.uk

MarkJohnson

Visit site
I have the same radio. In the end you don't actually need a GPS, you can input the position manually from your dead reckoning.

Defeats the object of the technology of course.

Mj

<hr width=100% size=1>

Oldhand

Visit site
I trust you will have time to input the position manually (without error) when you need to transmit a DSC sistress when your boat is sinking?

<hr width=100% size=1>

PhilF

Visit site
LOL, you really don't hold back do you, carry on Captain

<hr width=100% size=1>
strings_009.gif