GPS receiver for iPad pro

KnotLoaded

Visit site
Hi all
Any recommendations for GPS receiver to pair with iPad Pro WiFi only
Garmin glo2 or Bad Elf with lighting connector or any others??
Many thanks

Dino

Visit site
Bluetooth is the way to go. I previously used a GNS 2000 but it was a bit buggy and was sometimes difficult to turn on or off. I bought a Garmin Glo 2 earlier this year and used Navionics on my iPad for a 550nm trip this summer. I hardly bothered with my Raymarine chartplotter and mainly used the iPad. I couldn’t fault the Garmin Glo 2.
Also, Garmin were a disaster to buy off directly so I had to cancel the order an buy from Hudson Marine.

Daverw

Visit site
I use Bad elf gps, fits in the lightning port and allows charging through it, helps with battery usage as does not need Bluetooth, very sensitive receiver, not as cheap as some though but robust.

Daverw

Visit site
I tried a Bluetooth dongle but having to keep it powered was a pain so I do think the bad elf better, also one less thing to remember as I leave it plugged in. I also spoke to a few micro light owners that use it and found it very relatable. Also I use the blue tooth for other comms when on board and this saves switching back and forth as I can only have a single Bluetooth connection at a time

KnotLoaded

Visit site
Daverw Really helpful didn’t think about using Bluetooth for other uses ie Spotify to my fusion stereo etc. I suppose being plugged into bottom of iPad less chance of loosing it off the helm and easier to move around

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I use the garmin Glo and it is very good indeed. Battery last a long while and and it connects very quickly. I think it is very good for the money

Dennis

ctva

Visit site
Of course, the cellular iPads have built in GPS receivers for a completely self contained unit. Worth the extra cost.

pumpsmynads

Visit site
I think I can pair mine to the Lowrance plotter I have so it shares the gps. Might be an option? Share it to a plotter I mean. Not to mine. :)

Daverw

Visit site
I understood that the OP was looking at using iPad and was probably planning to install a chartplotter so pairing not an option.

I also have th3 iPad using the chartplotter gps when connected using WiFi or Bluetooth to it

Last edited: