GPS Problem

Peter_the_Grate

Visit site
My handheld (Magellan Pioneer) will only pick up 1 satellite, no matter what I do to encourage it to find more; ezstart, resetting date/time etc. Are the rest (satellites) missing or is my GPS, like the Norwegian Blue, an ex-GPS?

:-(

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
I had a similar problem with a friends Magellan 300. For about half hour it would only pick up one satellite. After that and when switched on now, it will pick up up-to five (walls prevent it from picking up more, even though it sometimes shows more with an empty circle - filled circle denotes satellite being used). Perhaps during the first half hour, it was building up the almanac of satellites within itself.

Give it another try, and leave it on for an hour while you read the PBO. (It will take longer to read all the PBO).

If all else fails, contact Comar UK. They are the Magellan representative for Europe.
01983 282400, or Peter Cotton at peter@comargps.com

regards,
Philip

Peter_the_Grate

Visit site
No mobiles, no walls, no trees, left on for over an hour ...
It did spend several hours on Friday in close proximity to a selection of electric outboards (PBO Team Test). Perhaps it's been fried.

AndrewB

Visit site
What you might have ....

... is an ex-arial. I've had my fixed GPS go like this twice, both times following severe thunderstorms. The symptoms were that just one or two satellites are found, the lock is weak and fades off, another is found, then lost etc. The cost of a new arial was about one-quarter the cost of a new unit.