GPS - PC software?

www.bavariayacht.info
I've finally got a PC on my boat, so I decided to hook it up to the GPS. I'm a bit of a geek, so getting raw data such as $GPRMC,180653,A,3849.764,N,02042.768,E,000.0,360.0,190607,002.5,E*7A ... displayed on my PC is really cool!

Back in the real world, is there any PC software out there that can do something useful with these data?

PS I'm also a pedant, hence "these data" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

savageseadog

Visit site
Yes, there's loads of software. You'll find some on most manufacturers sites as well as charting programs such as seaclear

EDM

Visit site
Off the top of my head
Mapsource
Ozi-Explorer
Fugawi
SOB (Software on Board)
Admiral

Plus literally 00's of others will process the data.
The main problem then is getting Digital Charting (at an affordable price) - Intergrating AIS, Wind, Depth can be a slight issue depending on your NMEA bus architecture.

If you want to be a real nerd - and you are in a marina.

Decode the data
Store in a spreadsheet
Plot your GPS location "wobble" over 24 hours.
It used to be quite significant - but since SA has been turned off, it is far far better now.

But I can see custom Anchor drag alarm interfaces, Meters we've sailed, you can easily start analyzing your speed per point of sail (if you can then get NMEA data from your weather vane)..., intergrate your daily postion into HF Mail package to send daily position reports- the list is literally endless, and at times almost pointless.

Or - just go sailing and think "Cool the GPS works"

Have fun -

Tim

Have fun !!!

G

Seaclear is free charting software that uses various chart formats ...

Maptech uses own raster format

Seapro uses various

Raynav ...

Capn Voyager...

Ozi-Explorer ...

SOB ....

WinGPS ....

the list goes on and on and on .....

I see you list as boat in Greece ... that will mean you will have to search out meddi charts ...

You could download CmapECS + CMap93 from the web - all p2p sources have it ... but its copyright infringed and illegal .... as well as other software ...

G

[ QUOTE ]
Hi

take a look at www.sping/seaclear/

works extremely well.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmmmm ...... I think you mean that to original poster ? I'm one of the longer term users of Olle's software on here !!