GPS input for Standard Horizon VHF (no chartplotter)

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Sorry for the newbie question, I have a SH GX1200E and I want to feed a seperate GPS for the DSC function. Is there a basic GPS unit (no display) I can use to wire in using 0183?

I do have an old Lowrance 3300c I could use (not sure if it's 0183 V2 or not) but I'm trying to eliminate screens if I can. I know I could buy a SH with built in GPS but I want to hold out till they bring out an 2k radio so it can be plumbed into future instruments.

Many Thanks

lpdsn

Visit site
I do have an old Lowrance 3300c I could use (not sure if it's 0183 V2 or not) but I'm trying to eliminate screens if I can.

Not 100% sure what you're asking for. Are you planning to sail without a GPS generally?

Sounds like the easiest solution is just to use what you have.

Very easy to find a manual on-line for the Lowrance 3300c (came about third in the list when a did a search). It is NMEA0183 v2 and the supported sentences are on pages 75 & 76.

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
lpdsn, not sailing without GPS, my tablet, my phone, and handheld garmin have all got GPS plus the radio if connected. I just want to eliminate having to many electrical items/screens on at once connected to the boats batteries, to have GPS on the VHF it then means I will have to keep the 3300c on all the time, which although isn't to much of an issue, it's pretty much a redundant/backup piece of kit. If there was an inexpensive puck then the VHF will always have GPS ready, but for £50 I'll be using the 3300c for now and putting the cash towards a new build in GPS VHF in the future. I've been reading the manual and didn't realise that those sentances meant it was V2, good to know thank you.

Another spoon fed question, if I take GPS output from the 3300c to the VHF, can I also tap into the ouput and feed a GPS repeater in the cockpit as well as the radio? Or would this confuse both items/to much noise/not the done way?

Many thanks.