GPS for PDAs

A1Sailor

Visit site
I have a (bluetooth) HP IPAQ H2210, for which I wish to purchase a bluetooth GPS device to produce an 'in-car navigation system'. I'd appreciate advice, good and bad, from Scuttlebutters who have already done this. A device that would do the (NB) car stuff and which also has boaty charts would be good.

davidml

Visit site
I have a PDA with integrated GPS, and I am running Tom Tom Navigator 3. I would happily reccomend this software as an in-car system, which as well as UK coverage, covers 'major roads' of western europe. I have planned a route (although not yet tested) from home to a campsite in Brittany for our summer holidays, which it calculated in about 45 seconds, including the ferry crossings.

Not tried any marine software yet so cant coment on suitability for this purpose but would be interested in the results.

PhilF

Visit site
I run tom tom with the tom tom GPS in the car and the HP2210,
when I go abroad, I use an etrex with tom tom and Spainish maps, and memory map for charts, all works very well, but the screen is a bit small for the Boat at 40 knots

Plan_B

Visit site
The mate has the HP IPAQ 2210 with TomTom Navigator and thinks its brilliant. We got the impression that the volume would not be loud enough, but once she bought it we found it was fine.

Bit untidy with the wires for power and antenna but worth it.

We still have a brand new unopened car kit if you look at the 'For Sale' section, January I think.

Regards

DD

LaurenceK

Visit site
I have just accidentally (don't ask) bought one along with some sort of raod nav software that I have no use for. You can have it for the next couple of months to try out if you like.

Send me a pm with your contact details.

paulskent

Visit site
I have an Orange M1000 PDA which is also my phone.. Have been running the Tom Tom Sofwtare with a Holux bluetooth GPS thing and it works well technically. The only issue I have is with the Tom Tom software which only accepts partial postcodes e.g. SK8 4.. After that you have to get into street names and numbers. I would much prefer a system that allowed you to enter the whole postcode e.g. SK8 4QR becuase this would take you straight to the location in one go.

I believe that the AA are selling a piece of software which works this way and I would opt for this next time...

I have not tried any MArine Nav software yet. Too busy learning to sail...

JayBee

Visit site
I use an IPAQ 2210 with bluetooth connection to a NAVMAN GPS 4400. This works really well with the NAVMAN Smart ST software for road navigation and also with Memory Map charts/software at sea.

BlueChip

Visit site
I bought a blue tooth gps for my Pocket Loox running TomTom its brilliant
I got it on eBay and they are on all the time for about £70

Battery life is an issue - about 7 hours - same as PDA, but the one I have can be charged from the USB out socket on my car PDA cradle if necessary

davidwf

Visit site
Re: Post code software be carefull

Just installed this post code software on my PDA for some reason it forced the Tom Tom software to de register itself on my PDA. Had to go online and get unlock code from tomtom, not too much hassel but if you've lost the product code you could be in a mess.

Apart from that very good application.

PhilF

Visit site
Re: Post code software be carefull

that never happened to my TomTom3, sorry if it caused any agro, but it does work well
PhilF

A1Sailor

Visit site
Navman 4420

What a brilliant gadget. The software that came with the Navman is easy to install, and my initial impression is that the SmartST road navigation tool works well - "at the roundabout take the second exit"! Don't know how it compares with TomTom, though.