Gold Paint for Hull.

aitchem

Visit site
Hi,
I am hoping to paint my hull soon.
It will be dark blue, and, I want to paint the sunken side depression ( dont know a proper name for it ) with a shiny gold paint. Like you see on Oysters etc.
Anyone know what paint it is.?
Tips on how to get a neat finish at the edges.?
I once put some gold leaf on my Capri in the Eighties, to good effect, and clear laquered it over, would that work on a Yacht.?
thx
Howard

Robin

Visit site
It isn't paint but a tape like gold leaf, IIRC it is called coveline tape. I is many years since I used it on a Liz 30, probably well over 25 years ago but I'm sure it will still be found.

BabaYaga

Visit site
In my experience the gold tape looks very neat the first season but then deteriorates, pales, quickly. So must be replaced every other year. Eventually the tape layers build up and have to be removed, which is difficult as the glue lasts much longer than the golden surface.

I got tired of that and found, after some experimenting, this method:

Mask off the area with a good tape, degrease, abrade with a very fine paper, wipe and tack.
Mix a slurry of bronze powder (artist´s shop) and two pack clear varnish (International Perfection). Aply one or two coats for a full cover. Remove the masking tape and allow to dry.
Mix a new batch of the same varnish, w i t h o u t any bronze powder, aply one coat that covers and slightly (a mm or so) extends the edge of the previous layers.

The golden glow is perhaps a bit more dull compared to a brand new tape, but much more long lasting. I did this 15 years ago and have only needed to touch up once (but should do again soon).

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
I was thinking of using gold coloured Artists' Quality acrylic paint or else Hammerite and then overcoating with clear varnish for protection. Would that work?

PlankWalker

Visit site
Cavita line is the stuff to use you can buy it in different widths, its easy to put on, you can shape arrow heads and tail ends using a craft knife. Mine is in good condition after 15 years.
Plank.

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
I'll see if I can source it via mail order.

Question: Forward of the cove line there is a 'Roman sword' shape that is raised proud of the shipside. Will the Cavita line be ok to use there?

tillergirl

Visit site
Please, please don't use tape. It's naff. Go to B and Q and in the hobby paints section you will find gold coloured paint in very small pots by Humbrol or a similar producer. It's generally water based but that doesn't matter; it works. Using ordinary masking tape to get straight lines. Use several coats to build it up. Dries in 10 minutes or less so in an hour you can have built up 6 coats, peel off masking tape immediately it has dried. Don't be dispirited by the first application; this is something you build up.

chinita

Visit site
Please, please don't use tape. It's naff. Go to B and Q and in the hobby paints section you will find gold coloured paint in very small pots by Humbrol or a similar producer. It's generally water based but that doesn't matter; it works. Using ordinary masking tape to get straight lines. Use several coats to build it up. Dries in 10 minutes or less so in an hour you can have built up 6 coats, peel off masking tape immediately it has dried. Don't be dispirited by the first application; this is something you build up.

+1

Tape is Tape and will always look like Tape. Don't spoil the ship for...........etc. It is detail which makes the difference.

ccscott49

Visit site
Gold acrylic artists paint, water based, so easy to apply and clean up, but once dry its waterproof, have used it for years on my gold lettering for boat name. Lasts very well.