Going round Britain in a 4M Avon RIB

Ron the boater

Visit site
I have had one for many years, it’s had many reincarnations and engines. Last was a 3 cylinder 2 stroke 70hp

Went like stink but tended or chine ride flat out fantastic fun

This makes me wonder if it’s refurb time again !

ari

Visit site
Good video. Seemingly completely unconcerned with speed limits in harbours though! (Planing up and down the River Dart)

CLB

Visit site
Good video. Seemingly completely unconcerned with speed limits in harbours though! (Planing up and down the River Dart)

I have been watching from the start and this video brought two things to mind. The first was, as mentioned above, his disregard for speed limits. The second was that there was a sudden increase in the commercial aspect. This is not a bad thing per se, but I thought it was a bit overkill Ribeye and possibly Dartmouth Castle getting too much video time at the expense of proper primary content due to their 'generosity' . Raymarine was just about right. A little plug, and plenty of ongoing screen time, in return for some kit.

ari

Visit site
The speed limit thing (and we're not talk a knot or two over, we're talking probably 4 times the speed limit, consistently, and on film too as though they genuinely have no idea that limits exist) does make me wonder about their navigational capacity generally.

Do they understand navigation, weather conditions, tides, buoys, speed limits etc?

Or are they just working on the basis that as long as they keep heading out to sea and turning right, they'll eventually get round.

[2068]

Visit site
Great stuff, thanks for the link. I never knew you could stay in Kingswear Castle!

I too was slightly concerned about preparation ... getting blown to pieces by live firing off Lulworth would have been highly unfortunate and a premature end to the series, but they did listen to good advice about Portland Bill.
I would guess that speeding in a tiny RIB that is producing hardly any wake is not going to cause the Harbour Master to rise from his perch.
But a yellow cover??? :oops:

Couple of things I would do differently: not "up the beach" near Hastings across those rocks, and I think I would have that kicker engine rigged permanently and ready to go.

Last edited:

LBRodders

Visit site
We have enjoyed the clips so far. However, after the first 2 you got a sense that he was discovering that the challenge was a bit bigger than initially thought.

For me [and particularly with things like this], its far better to do it and then upload the videos. You then have the benefit of editing the early stages accordingly knowing the outcome!

[2068]

Visit site
We have enjoyed the clips so far. However, after the first 2 you got a sense that he was discovering that the challenge was a bit bigger than initially thought.

Especially when it comes to going around the top: I wouldn't fancy going through the Pentland Firth in a 4m RIB.

hullabaloo

Visit site
he seems like a nice guy,
I do hope he gets a bigger rib before lands end,
the minute he turns north the rules change.
that 4m dingy is not the tool for the job.

thejonesey

Visit site
I have been an avid follower since the beginning and it is good to see what an Avon SR4 can do. I am pretty sure that one went around Britain years ago but I suspect that this was with support crew and a more experienced crew. I remember reading Nick Burnham's column saying that when you start boating you have a full bucket of luck and an empty bucket of experience -you hope that the latter one is sufficiently full before the former runs dry. I think Harry has done rather more research than he is letting on as it makes for better film but I hope that his buckets are kind to him, especially as he starts to head North.

Visit site
I’ve watched it too since the beginning. Not being in England found it very informative too. I’d never heard of the Isles of Scilly before. They look gorgeous

ari

Visit site
I would guess that speeding in a tiny RIB that is producing hardly any wake is not going to cause the Harbour Master to rise from his perch.

I would guess that it would - it's not a knot or two over, it's 3 or 4 times the limit (so like doing 90mph through a 30mph limit).

rib

Visit site
Loads of small ribs went the long way round in 2000 ish. They will go anywhere in the right hands. Think the film made was something like small boats big seas or visa versa

U4

Visit site
So I have watched all 6 episodes. I have to say that I feel hugely inspired.

I think harry is a great film maker as well as being a seriously cool adventurer . .

My first boat was a little searay and I progressed over time up to (in terms of this forum) a modest SC35 which I was lucky enough to own for quite a long time (thank you @volvopaul for maintaining it). I now have a custom Stingher 800 GT rib. Weymouth to Portsmouth is my longest trip to date on my Rib - im going to do more now though after watching this, way more than I did on my 'big boat'.

lisilou

Visit site
Absolutely loved this! Watched all eps back to back today. Itching to do the same now! (The urge will pass though for sure :D)
Thanks for the link.
L

Other threads that may be of interest