God this weather is SO depressing - cruise ideas anyone?

johnalison

Visit site
If you cant get Plymouth to Scilly you are not trying. One long haul or 2 or 3 steady hops. Plenty to amuse oneself on Scilly for two weeks then back home you go, and once you are east of Lizard you can relax.

140miles or so Scilly direct to Waterford/Dunmore East, and as that is 30hours for our slow tub so a bit much for navigator, but most boats are faster
That’s OK for a modern boat with a crew of blokes, but for modest boats with family crews it isn’t always so easy. I found to my amusement that Bornholm has something of the same reputation with Danes, as it is about as far as they can get with the hope of getting home again in a two-week cruise if the weather is unsettled and is also viewed as a Shangri-La.

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
24 hrs after a good set of forecasts for the Scillies and Irish Sea, and now it’s all change again. Yesterday, Wed next week was forecast to be calm. Today the forecast is for F7/8. There simply is no consistency between or within the various models at the moment, which makes me think it’ll be dangerous venturing out past Lands End.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
24 hrs after a good set of forecasts for the Scillies and Irish Sea, and now it’s all change again. Yesterday, Wed next week was forecast to be calm. Today the forecast is for F7/8. There simply is no consistency between or within the various models at the moment, which makes me think it’ll be dangerous venturing out past Lands End.
Glad it is not just me. I'm not even trying to get further west than Plymouth (from Chichester). Got a bit optimistic yesterday and this morning booked trains and stuff so I can have a car available. We have a landbased week in the middle of the "cruise". Then stumped up for Windy Premium and Bam, something big seems to be looming in a week's time. I do have flexibility factored in but really keen to get cracking westbound.

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
The forecast for Monday looks fairly favourable to get from Plymouth to Scilly, if I was up channel and wanting to get back that’s the one I’d be watching.

So much angst about getting west it is doable and there have been plenty of opportunities, I myself just got back again on Wednesday with quite a few others all arriving around the same time that had grabbed the same chance.

There onwards the weather is changeable but nothing to horrendous once here and safely tucked up. . . . . As for getting to Ireland without having to turn around and start heading back within your allotted timescale that plan may need rethinking.

Whatever you do keep it fun and not a punishment, good luck

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
Yeah, Ireland is out of the question.

High KeVO. We could jump to the Scillies on Monday also, but there’s a real mother of a low forecast for Wednesday. Don’t fancy being there for that.

KevO

Visit site

High KeVO. We could jump to the Scillies on Monday also, but there’s a real mother of a low forecast for Wednesday. Don’t fancy being there for that.
We’ll just watch and see how things shape up. I was looking again earlier and it’s still anyone’s guess. Not committed to anything. It’s more the journey over, we have always moved about to make the best of the available shelter day to day when there… within reason of course. 😊

Last edited:

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com

Yes Wednesday looks fresh but there’s no scary change of direction so it’s easier to shelter from, the problems come when there is a sudden shift in wind direction during gale conditions.

That said it’s not holiday weather, good for walking but not beach weather depends what you want to do

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
First time heading for the Scillies, so maybe we’re being overly cautious. We’re heading West tomorrow in the hope that it comes good.

Mister E

Visit site
On the weather forecast that day it will improve seems to keep moving back a day every day on is broadcast.
I am going on holiday next week for the first time in years.