Gocek Bays

Norman_E

Visit site
I have sailed there many times, but the last time was in 2019 and I sold my boat after my 2019-20 health scares followed by the lockdown. What a mistake to make! I understand that there have been changes and was told that anchoring is now forbidden. We are going to sail there again this May/June with our old boat and my wife insists that we go to restaurant jetties, but after seeing the restaurant at Boynuz Buku closed and deserted last time we visited I am wondering if all our old favourites are still in operation. Boynuz Buku was particularly good as it had both water and electricity so was great for recharging the batteries after days in the more secluded bays. Does anyone have up to date (i.e 2022) knowledge please. We loved Amigos, Wall Bay and Tomb bay, as well as visiting others like Tirsane Adasi, Sarsala and the one in a bay that I can't now name, on the port side just after you entered the bays through the channel between Kara Burun and Domuz Adasi.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Sorry, no up-to-date knowledge; haven't been to Turkey in years. But I see that we went to Boynuz Buku back in 2013 which I think was the last time we were there.

BTW Looking at Google Maps, the Boynuz Buku restaurant (and Parasailing centre, it says) has the phone number +905437903843, so you could ring them up and ask!

If you have Google Earth it will open this file of our track to show that: www.mjcoon.plus.com/tk-2013-10-13_18.kmz

Last edited:

Norman_E

Visit site
I have that phone number in my old phone, and it is the number of the people who ran it up to 2018, and then left. I cannot open your file as it is blocked by my antivirus, but I was there in 2013 and every year up to 2017.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I haven't been down that area since 2020 and some restaurants etc were closed then because of covid so you're pretty much as up-to-date as I am. I find Navily very useful for research especially because all entries are dated. Another source I use is coastguidetr.com. It's not as easy to navigate but it's worth a look - you need to put in the district first - Muğla - then the Gulf - Gökçek - and then the Bay - Tersane Bay - and you get Tersane Bay - Coast Guide TR
I hope this helps.

Norman_E

Visit site
Thank you for that. When I was last there the man who owns the Amigos restaurant was building a new one in Hamoon bay on the opposite side of the peninsula that so effectively hides Amigos from anyone who does not know it or go exploring into hidden corners of bays. His intention was to run one whilst his children would manage the other. I see that there is a jetty nor shown where he was building the new one, and I will check it on both the websites.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I have to say I'm not a fan of shoreline restaurants and especially those in remote bays. In my experience they're mostly rip-off merchants offering very poor fare, often prepared in a criminally unhygienic environment and at grossly exorbitant prices. Many of the structures are built illegally and especially those with jetties. Some have been legalised retroactively through the notorious construction/planning amnesties which have attracted attention since the February earthquakes. I know there are exceptions but they're few and far between.

Halo

Visit site
Well that’s not very encouraging! I am chartering a 50 footer from Gocek in 2 weeks time and now feel like an explorer !

KLBH

Visit site
We were there 3 weeks ago, all seems open but the coast guard have stopped boats anchoring just out of Gocek between Skopea marina and Marinturk, other than that you are fine.
We had a drink in the bar / restaurant in Cleopatra Bay and came away minus an arm and a leg, 600tl for one beer and a glass of white wine.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Well that’s not very encouraging! I am chartering a 50 footer from Gocek in 2 weeks time and now feel like an explorer !
Sorry if I've spoiled the anticipation. I'd avoid the restaurants in the bay as much as I could, if I were you. In the villages look for a reasonably busy restaurant at least one street back from the front line - the bill will probably be 50%less. Stock up with beer etc from the supermarkets and enjoy one or two onboard without getting fleeced and if you have a deep freeze and BBQ all the better. It's a super scenic area and not to be missed and even if you can't avoid the rip off merchants don't let that spoil your enjoyment.

Norman_E

Visit site
Good news KLBH. Irish Rover, you have obviously had some bad experiences, but we have had a lot of good ones and over the years got to know the people running several bay restaurants, such as Regip at Amigos and Can at Karacaioran,

Irish Rover

Visit site
We were there 3 weeks ago, all seems open but the coast guard have stopped boats anchoring just out of Gocek between Skopea marina and Marinturk, other than that you are fine.
We had a drink in the bar / restaurant in Cleopatra Bay and came away minus an arm and a leg, 600tl for one beer and a glass of white wine.
Bloody gangsters. That's €30. You shouldn't be paying more than 200/250 lira.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Good news KLBH. Irish Rover, you have obviously had some bad experiences, but we have had a lot of good ones and over the years got to know the people running several bay restaurants, such as Regip at Amigos and Can at Karacaioran,
Can't say I know Amigos. I've been to Karaca Ören a couple of times. Stunningly beautiful bay with many turtles around. The restaurant is OK in my opinion but basic, and expensive by Turkish standards. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Turkish prices generally.