Glad I have see-through lid in engine raw water strainer

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
I admit that I only look at the strainer every few weeks. However when cleaning under the sole boards this week-end I was shocked to see that the engine strainer was packed with debris. It was easily seen through the polycarbonate top. I then opened the generator strainer - which does not have a see-through top and there was a lot of stuff in its filter too.
I guess the moral of this is that a see-through top to the strainer is a good idea but I should check it more often!

Raw water.jpg Engine strainer

Sieve.jpg Removed debris in a sieve

Gen strainer.jpg Filter from genset strainer

TudorSailor

johnalison

Visit site
I would like to have a see-through but don't. On the other hand, I only have to lift one step of the companionway to get to mine and check it every time I go out. Despite this, I have seen it gunged up after only five hours motoring, usually with a gummy substance, both in the Channel and North Sea.

Gumpy

Visit site
I once after a prolonged period of not running the engine (months) found a crayfish in my filter. I sometimes wonder what it thought on being released having grown up in the confines of my filter.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
May I ask where the OP has been sailing? I sail on the Thames and have never seen anything like it.

I have been sailing in the Med, so Croatia to Italy finishing in Lefkas. There was some time when the yacht was alongside the town quay in Brindisi with the wind howling onto the quay. So in retrospect I wonder if that is when all the flotsam and jetsam accumulated against the wall on the port side of the yacht where the water intakes are. Of course the intakes are below the water line and most of the stuff ought to have been floating.
Good news is that the strainer did its job
TS