Gibraltar Marina Bay Development notice

Heckler

Visit site
View attachment 62351

Basically it says:

Convert existing current valid outline planning permission to a full approval for the construction of a new secure superyachtfacility with associated mooring facilitiesand access pier with 144 rental apartments.

Saw this the other day, does it mean a mass exodus to La Linea?
Stut

Last edited:

SeamanStaines

Visit site
I assume they have asked the MOD's thoughts, there is no way you can build that lot so close to the runway. As it is the Gibralter runway is borderline for civil use, it operates under a special exemption since it is really an RAF base. I would be surprised if they can build this and still keep the runway for civil use.

Pete7

Visit site
The runway is now valuable land in the wrong place, they should get rid of it and do what Hong Kong did, build a new one.

Heckler

Visit site
The runway is now valuable land in the wrong place, they should get rid of it and do what Hong Kong did, build a new one.
It always amuses me when I read about the Govt of Gibraltar and the millions they spend. They only have a population of about 30k, where would the money come from? I am speaking as a County Councillor with a population of approx 95k and I know the amounts of money we have to play with. We get £30 million from council tax and approx £200 million from central govts, and we have had to make serious cuts recently.
Gib is only a bit bigger than Rhyl in population terms!
Stu

capnsensible

Visit site
I assume they have asked the MOD's thoughts, there is no way you can build that lot so close to the runway. As it is the Gibralter runway is borderline for civil use, it operates under a special exemption since it is really an RAF base. I would be surprised if they can build this and still keep the runway for civil use.

Yes they have and yes they can. This is not new, has been in the planning and town development phases for at least four years, now it is going ahead.

Personally, I think its a bit bonkers so after 9 years of living in Marina Bay, we have left. Byeee!. :)

SeamanStaines

Visit site
Just out of interest, where? I can see from Capn Sensibles comments the MOD and CAA (civil aviation authority) does not see it as a problem so its academic. I, many years ago, used to run an airport and I had enough trouble because one of the masts on the control tower was too high and infringed the runway safety clearance zones!