Gibb Winches - Size/Spec

Wandering Star

Visit site
My new (old) boat has a brace of Gibb 55 2 speed winches. unfortunately the boats in Florida and I'm in UK. I want to take out a couple of "Barton Winchers" to fit the top of these winches and haven't a clue which size of winchers to buy.

I've Googled but can't identify a source of winch specifications for these 20+ year old winches. Does anyone know of a source? The measurement I need is the diameter of the top of the winch drum (the lip). Otherwise, does anyone have the same winches fitted to their boat and would they be kind enough to take the required measurement when they next visit?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers, Brian.

Stork_III

Visit site
My new (old) boat has a brace of Gibb 55 2 speed winches. unfortunately the boats in Florida and I'm in UK. I want to take out a couple of "Barton Winchers" to fit the top of these winches and haven't a clue which size of winchers to buy.

I've Googled but can't identify a source of winch specifications for these 20+ year old winches. Does anyone know of a source? The measurement I need is the diameter of the top of the winch drum (the lip). Otherwise, does anyone have the same winches fitted to their boat and would they be kind enough to take the required measurement when they next visit?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers, Brian.
When I bought winchers, the leaflet inside the packaging listed various winch type/sizes for each wincher size. Perhaps have a look in the chandlers before you buy. Barton site not good for info though. This site gives some sizes for gibb but does not reference 55-2. You probably need extra large.
http://www.boats4sale.co.nz/wincher.htm

Last edited:

Wandering Star

Visit site
Thanks for this info, I've emailed both Barton Marine the manufacturers of the Wincher and also Lewmar, who apparently took over the Gibb business many years ago. So far no joy! I'll keep looking and thanks. I agree with you it probably is the size XL but I'd like to know for sure!

Cheers, Brian.