Getting ready for winter

G

I purchased my first boat last year and decided to keep her on the water (Lake Windermere) last winter due to wanting to use it. I've decided to take her out this year and want to winterise her myself, partly to gain some experience. I know the basics, but would like some advice on what I should be doing.
i.e. antifouling (last done 2 1/2 years ago)
propping up the boat
replacing anodes etc.
draining off ??
Can anyone recommend a good book/ internet site, which explains all the things I should be getting prepared to do? .
Bayliner (no jokes please) 2958 flybridge
twin 5L V8 mercruiser petrol

Thanks

ArthurWood

Visit site
I don't know about propping up boats, but I would get a professional to do it. As for the rest:
-antifouling: check the condition of the existing paint after washing. Then decide if new paint is necessary. Best to power wash immediately after haul out.
-anodes: check their condition. If eroded by more than 50%, change them.
-draining: drain fresh water system and flush with special anti-freeze for potable water systems. I've read that vodka does the job and is cheaper than the antifreeze stuff.
-engine winterising: get hold of a Mercruiser manual. See www.mercurymarine.com or your local Mercruiser dealer.
-ventilation/dehumidification. If you have power available, put a dehumidifier aboard and allow it to drain overboard. If not, arrange to have a good airflow through the boat to minimise damp/mould.

I've never done any of this myself - I live in Florida, but I read a lot!!. Good luck.

G

Re: Bayliner NJP winterising

I agree with AW on getting a pro on the propping up the boat and praps with engine winterising too.

The cheapy dehumidifiers from b&q are okay, but make sure that they are low in the boat, where all the damp is.

Get as much fabric off the boat as poss. So the cushions, curtins cd all come home in your nice dry house.

Get some wd40 or such like and lash it all over the brightwork.

Make indoors nice and dark.

Hopefully maintain access to boat so you can have a check round.

Don't bring it ashore if they can't supply power

On grp, have seen them get a load of polish and smear it about, and then leave it all smeared (not polished) giving a layer of hosepipable (?) or at least wipeable gunge for spring. Probly also reduces sunlight damage.

the antifould can all be scraped off, or you can just blast with water and touch up. Or pay someone else to do the awful job.

Oh and some ALARMED warning stickers if not too secure.

ArthurWood

Visit site
Coincidentally, after I sent you my previous message my copy of Motor Boating (crap US publication) arrived which contains an article on useful winter lay-up tips. The gist of it is that the more you do before winter really sets in the more peace of mind and boating time you will have next year. I'll try to send it to your private e-mail address.

G

Aren't we getting a bit paranoid its only the beginning of september plenty more boating days before we all hibernate untill June . Remember global warming the weather more less stays the same all year round give or take 10 o F . It just gets dark a bit earlier , consequently winterisation to me is just make sure you have plenty of spare bulbs! & a searchlight to find your mooring.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
At this time of year you are likely to see articles in the motor boat magazines covering this subject. I agree with above comments, DON'T try and prop the boat yourself. I was antifouling a few years ago and a chap nearby moved one of his bits of wood to get at the un antifouled bit of hull and the boat toppled over. He was lucky not to kill himself or anyone else nearby.
As for the engine I would run a mixture of 50% antifreeze and 50% water through the raw water intake to prevent freezing.
Also think of buying a cheap plastic cover. I cant remember the name of the firm but they advertise in exchange and mart.
If you dont see any articles on laying up i can let you have a copy from old magazines if you e-mail me your address.
John.