Getting better....!!

nicho

Visit site
Some of you may know that we recently switched from power boats, and are the proud owners of our first sailing boat. Having done a week's course with Southern Sailing, and been allowed to helm 'Jimi's' boat a couple of days, we decided to employ the services of a professional sailing instructor last week to live aboard for three days of tuition. We have been out several times on our own, but deliberately in light winds, and as SHMBO has had no previous experience of sailing (though lots on motor boats), it was agreed she would do most of the helming, including the close quarter stuff..... Oh, my beautiful new boat!!

Secretly praying for gentle winds again, I should not have been surprised to wake on day 1 to Westerly F4/5's. We nevertheless had a great sail down Southampton Water with about 60% of the sail up, storming along at a pleasant 5/6 knots. Rounding Calshot, we headed for Newtown Creek, but passing the Gurnard Buoy, we were confronted by a jet black sky, and a wall of rain heading our way. "OK" said our instructor (normally the skipper of some 60 foot, Round the World thing), lets practice heaving to!!. What, in this weather? Oh well, modern oilies are very good aren't they. Then, a huge flash of lightening and winds suddenly up to F7 in the gusts, sent us scurrying back downwind to the shelter of Cowes for lunch - heaving to would have to wait.

The Mrs was not sure about all this, with the boat hammering down wind under headsail alone, and water flying everywhere in the wind against tide situation!! Nevertheless, the squall passed, and with nerves calmed after lunch at East Cowes Marina we set off for Portsmouth. A lively downwind run to Gilkicker, really flying along in winds now mainly F6 was quite exhillerating, and even the other half, now the self appointed skipper, was beginning to enjoy it. The evening was spent in Port Solent, with the wife doing all the boat handling, lock and all,

The next day saw winds of F4, which gave us a great sail back towards Cowes, anchoring in Osborne Bay for lunch in glorious sunshine, before spending the night in Mercury Marina on the Hamble. My hands were by now in a sorry state, (no sailing gloves - since rectified), and my muscles ached from the constant tacking and winch work, as we were unmercifully put through our paces by the instructor - it was relentless stuff.

Our final day was taken up with more close quarter stuff, springing off, ferry gliding, mooring, stemming the tide etc, before heading out into Southampton Water for practice of MOB proceedures, and yet more heaving to, mainly done with the good lady at the helm, with me doing it a couple of times as a refresher.

Finally, we arrived back at Hythe Marina, with the now (very definitely) SWMBO taking the boat safely into the lock (with a strong spring tide ebbing across the entrance!), before finally putting it securely into our berth, without touching anything!! Was she pleased with herself?? You betcha!! - she spent the next couple of hours walking around with a VERY big grin on her face.

The whole experience was very good for both of us. Beforehand, we looked for excuses not to go out, now we can't wait to go out on our own again, confident that we can handle most "normal" situations, and not (too) fearful of the winds suddenly getting up.....! We still have a huge amount to learn, but we are really beginning to feel a bit more like sailors now!! Isn't it great fun!

Trust I havn't bored you too much with this drivel....

<hr width=100% size=1>

Nick2

Visit site
Sort of similar feelings to ours but motor rather than sail. Having felt a bit of a bigwig on the Thames I am now learning a whole new game being on Solent. Your transition from power to sail is possibbly even more challenging.

Do come and say hello as we are on C31 at Hythe and you are always welcome to a motor trip for old times sake....

Nick

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://arweb.co.uk/argallery/Nick2>http://arweb.co.uk/argallery/Nick2</A>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day Mike (And Mrs Mike),

Welcome to the wonderful world of power without pollution, nothing like it, waves wind and open sea, going with, not against the natural elements.

Re: <We still have a huge amount to learn, but we are really beginning to feel a bit more like sailors now!! Isn't it great fun!>

Better get used to the learning, because it never stops with sailing, navigation, seamanship, rules, tactics, maintenance, repairs, planning, procedures and papers are just a few items you need to keep abreast of.

I started sailing at 6 and now over 50 years later, I'm still learning and still competitive, how many sports can you play from 6 to 60 and still be a winner?

By the way, your post is not all boring or drivel, it's just what we need more of on here, some good news and no moaning or useless complaints, keep em coming...........

<hr width=100% size=1>Andavagoodweekend, Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
That's it. Now you're hooked. Next you'll be worrying about whether to buy some hi-tec halyards, how to streamline your anchor, and whether a summer cruise to Tristan da Cunha is feasible.

Congrats!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

banana

Visit site
interesting read. also interested in doing this myself being a newcomer. who did you use and can you say how much, or thereabouts.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Great post Mike, not boring at all.

We were off Gurnard Saturday pm when the squall hit, beating into it. I had my godsons aged 14 & 15 on board and thought about bearing away to Cowes as it was horizontal stair rods into my eyes. The lads weren't too concerned so we pressed on to Yarmouth. This was a good shout as it gave them something to talk about! Initially I thought it was just a line squall and would pass so didn't shorten sail until I realised it was sustained. An extra reef took the rails out of the water and gave us an extra half knot. The 2 boys put the reef in and really enjoyed the adventure.

Conditions like that give you increased confidence once you get over your initial alarm and realise that you can take control by shortening sail (I should have done it earlier). The wind against spring tide was kicking up quite a chop which adds a bit to the drama. If it's any consolation, conditions in the Solent are rarely that bad so your experience should give you a real boost.

I think your idea of paying for a professional skipper was inspired and I can see that you've both gained a lot from this. Well done, and keep the posts coming as it's far better reading real personal sailing accounts than some of the stuff hereabouts.

Best wishes
Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
Hi - I have tried to PM you, but your site has evidently not been set up to receive them. I'll not broadcast his details generally, because he's now off somewhere on the 60 footer, and is not available for some time. Reckon on around £100 per day, give or take a bit (unless I've been ripped off!!).

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
Glad you made the change. Sailing on a broad reach can be far more exciting than planing along as a stinkie.

Just one suggestion. You seem to have fixed the roles on board. Maybe if you haven't already done this, you should exchange them so that each is competent if the other is incapacitated - or overboard !

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
Hi. Yes we will indeed do that. On this occasion however, it was decided that my better half should do most of the helming, because I have had the benefit of a week with Southern sailing, when I did all these things to death. I was therefore happy to let my good lady do pretty well all the helming, because she had practically no sailing experience whatsoever. At the end of the three days however, she was throwing it around like an old hand!!

In future, we will be sharing the duties, and we shall be doing more practice of MOB, heaving to etc. I don't want her to have ANY excuse for sailing away and leaving me if I should end up in the water!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

xcw

Visit site
Well I must say having read previous posts on this forum I am very surprised - out in a F7 in a Bav 36! Didn't the mast fall down or the keel fall off, or at leat the interior disintegrate? Surely you were broaching every 2 minutes? I'm also very surprised that an experienced instructor would even dare step on a Bav with anything more than a F1 forecast!

It just goes to prove what a load of drivel is spoken on this forum!

Have a great season.

Chris (also a very happy and proud owner of a Bav 36!)

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
I agree Chris, it's a complete load of crap isn't it? Our instructor commented how neutral and well balanced the boat was in a bit of a blow - no vices at all, just a pleasant cruising boat. Most of the adverse comments are from people who have never stepped foot on a Bavaria. I gather it used to be Beneteau and Jeanneau that got all the stick, but it's Bavarias turn now. Too successful perhaps - we Brits don't like success do we?

<hr width=100% size=1>