Getting away from it all.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Following on from the recent post re secret anchorages is there anyone else out there who thinks that secret anchorages are overrated. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a night in a peaceful secluded anchorage but if I want to get away from it all I'll stay at home with the phone disconnected , a good book and a comfy chair under a tree in the garden. I like being in a BUSY anchorage so that I can sit in the cockpit and see what's going on. When I go sailing I want to meet my fellow man , not avoid him , I want to tie up in a busy harbour and have a good relaxing natter with the crew of the boat next to me and share a bottle. Maybe I'm odd !!!!!
P.S. This last bit has absolutely nothing to do with the above but I took my brand new boat out today for the first time and I'm in love. Night all.

G

Your right Bill.

I spend most of my Winters alone and secluded.... (Where does that crew get to when the layup work needs to be done??)

ccscott49

Visit site
I agree with you Bill, meeting other like minded folk is what I think cruising is all about, if you want to be on your own, go single handed ocean sailing! Or as you say stay at home!

G

Oh dear ean! Sounds like a sad late night thought. Me? I am as jealous as hell!

G

Getting away from some of it

It seems that getting away from it all is not preferred. It is rather getting away from some it that makes sense.

johndf

Visit site
I must be antisocial

I have to confess that I do find these secret anchorages attractive. Sometimes I'm very happy to be amongst other boats, but I also enjoy being alone now and again. On the other hand, if I'm the only boat in an anchorage, I do begin to wonder why no-one else is there.

tonyleigh

Visit site
Is it just me that senses control freakery in the tone of too many of these responses? I don't care a damn where people choose to moor/anchor. I shall continue to choose my spots according to what I want when I want. And no I don't object to the term "secret anchorage". It just flags the possibility of a spot I don't know of.

G

I suppose it's all a matter of inclination - and where you are.

On Sweden's eastern seaboard, there are a plethora of natural harbours/moorings in the "skärgård" (look out for the white circles, they're rings cemented into rocks) and people will sometimes get a bit miffed if you moor within 100 metres.

Personally I enjoy the seclusion and privacy of a beautiful natural anchorage (Denmark is a great place for them), but enjoy chewing the fat with other yotties in the harbours too.

But - kids whizzing around the harbour in someones tender with a noisy outboard all evening is not my idea of fun...

Lost in Denmark - a yachtsmans paradise!

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Sail where you want, do what you want, who cares as long as the wife is happy!

More importantly Bill, how did she perform, conditions etc, and where did you sail?

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I've only taken her out once yet on Tuesday for her maiden sail. I was too starry eyed to be rational but we carried full sail up Southampton water hard on the wind in 20 knots apparent doing 7 knots effortlessly which is all right in my books. The plan was to do a mini cruise for the rest of the week but the weather hasn't been good hence the reason I'm writing this as came home today. I'm going back down tomorrow morning to take her away for a couple of days then home to Chichester.