Getting an anchor chain regalved in the UK

simonbertie1

Visit site
I would like to get my 70m of anchor chain regalved. So far all the companies Ive spoken to (and are mentioned in other posts here and online) have declined to offer this service (6 phoned in last 2 weeks from N Scotland to East coast) .
Does anyone know of a company still doing this service in 2024?

Cheers

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
When I enquired about re-galvanized 80m of 10mm chain, I was told that the cost of galvanizing components had gone up significantly, and it was probably cheaper to buy a new chain.
I've had chain re-galvanized in the past, and if it's done correctly, a chain shaker is used, to remove the excess zinc. If that's not done links can get glued together with zinc.
Last time I had it done, the company didn't have chain shaker, some of the links where stuck together, but a tap with hammer sorted that out, and by the time it had run over the gypsy a few time you wouldn't have know the difference.
I also think there was more zinc on the chain than when it was new, I'm still using it.

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
I would like to get my 70m of anchor chain regalved. So far all the companies Ive spoken to (and are mentioned in other posts here and online) have declined to offer this service (6 phoned in last 2 weeks from N Scotland to East coast) .
Does anyone know of a company still doing this service in 2024?

Cheers

I have not managed it for the past 10 years and have recently bought new.

There are a lot of red herrings about, however within the last year someone posted details of a company (Yorkshire I think) that say they will do it and, vastly more important, the poster said had provided a good affordable, service.

I bookmarked the details but, as usual, can't find them now, I am sure someone can Sherlock it down?

veshengro

Visit site
It's years since I had anchor chain galvanised and the World has turned..But. If you can find a Company that makes Gates/Fencing, Balustrades or ironwork in general that is eventually galvanised before sale, that company is worth approaching.
To explain.
I had 60 metres of chain that needed re galvanising and a local Ironwork company included my chain in a load of metal that was going to be galvanised. The Galvaniser's at that time worked by weight and would charge a set fee for a set weight, so my chain made up the weight for one dipping operation. The company, that made Gates wanted some Gates dipped but had to wait until they had the correct weight, so by including my chain they got their Gates dipped earlier.

A bit of a long winded explanation but at the time it saved me a lot of money..If you have anyone local it's worth asking if they will include your chain in their next load for galvanising. 🤔
Ranalah Gates Ltd springs to mind...

jdc

Visit site
I'm also very interested in this post! The 60m of 10mm chain on my boat and, coincidentally, my brother's boat's 60m of 10mm chain both require regalvanising or replacing.

But I've been thoroughly disappointed by the longevity of the galvanising on any chain I can buy; it only lasts two seasons, so I'd pay quite a lot to have the galvanising last say 4 or 5 years since I'd be paying 3 x cost of new chain every 7 years if I always bought new as opposed to 2 x cost if I got it re-galvanised even if the galvanising process cost as much as a new chain.

NormanS

Visit site
Over the years, I've had various anchor chains galvanized by Highland Galvanizers in Cumbernauld. The last time was three or four years ago. I don't know, but would assume that they're still doing chain.

geem

Visit site
I'm also very interested in this post! The 60m of 10mm chain on my boat and, coincidentally, my brother's boat's 60m of 10mm chain both require regalvanising or replacing.

But I've been thoroughly disappointed by the longevity of the galvanising on any chain I can buy; it only lasts two seasons, so I'd pay quite a lot to have the galvanising last say 4 or 5 years since I'd be paying 3 x cost of new chain every 7 years if I always bought new as opposed to 2 x cost if I got it re-galvanised even if the galvanising process cost as much as a new chain.
Check the wear in your chain to make sure it's not past the point of no return. There should be no more than 10% material loss where the links touch each other. If it's beyond this, better to replace

Neeves

Visit site
There is, or was, a Sherardiser (Thermal Diffusion Galvanising - TDG) in the UK who was said to be able to coat chain. Here, in Oz, TDG costs twice as much as HDG (Hot Dipped Galvanising) but the resultant coating is harder. HDG costs more in the UK than in Oz. Harder means more abrasion resistant. Most galvanisers work to a coating thickness of 70 microns (some will coat more thickly - but its more than the Standards require). Thicker coatings last longer and a TDG coating can be specified at more than industry standard of 70 microns and all the chains I have processed are to a 100 micron coating thickness. (The US Marines and Navy specify 80 microns for the same process, TDG, same application). HDG coatings are meant to meet industry standards, 70 microns, but sometimes the coating is thinner and variable. Its the thinnest coated part of your chain that determines life. If you try to coat beyond about, I stress the 'about', 100 microns the coating can break down and flake (ask your galvaniser for advice)

I use TDG as the chains I work with are High Tensile and the TDG process is better for Q and T steels. Basically I work to allow one to down size chain, maintaining strength of the rode but with a smaller link size - so saving weight.

Some time ago I collated all the complaints of 'poor galvanising' from forum, here and Cruisers Forum, and it appeared that chain life for liveaboards, living on their yachts 365, was about 4 years. It will vary - so maybe 3 - 5 years. If you anchor in muds which are acidic the gal will be attacked, whether TDG or HDG, by the acids and the life will be shorter. But expecting a life over 4 years for a 70 micron coating being dragged over the seabed is a big ask (and to me unrealistic). Most galvanisers coat product that is subject to minimal abrasion - a steel beam, or a steel fence is commonly not subject to abrasion - chains, or our chains -ARE subject to abrasion (but are protected the same way).

Strangely, excepting Spade, no-one complains that their anchor goes rusty quickly - the focus is always chain life. But if you have your chain regalvanised - do the anchor at the same time.

I do wonder - Spade are highly regarded in terms of their performance are expensive and not easy to buy (here in Oz you would need to fly one in or wait a long, long time for your ship to arrive) and are very common in the 'live aboard' community. I do wonder if part of the complaints of Spade are simply the fact they are used by people who anchor 365....? I recall complaints from a Liveaboard who concluded that galvanised high tensile chain had a short life and thus gal HT chain life would always be short - but on analysis his HT chain, a G70, lasted the 4 year average....expectations are unrealistic and complaints are commonly not based on reality.

Jonathan

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
… Highland Galvanizers in Cumbernauld. …

Highland Galvanizers in Cumbernauld, arranged a bulk order for sailors. The deal was that you dropped your chain off at their facility, and collected again. You had to wait until they had a slot in their galvanizing schedule, that could be used and set up for lots of chain. You were then notified when it was done and returned to collect your chain. It worked out to be a very good price.

The point is, if a few folks get together over a winter it could be cost beneficial if an arrangement could be made with a galvaniser.

Aja

Visit site
Highland Galvanizers in Cumbernauld, arranged a bulk order for sailors. The deal was that you dropped your chain off at their facility, and collected again. You had to wait until they had a slot in their galvanizing schedule, that could be used and set up for lots of chain. You were then notified when it was done and returned to collect your chain. It worked out to be a very good price.

The point is, if a few folks get together over a winter it could be cost beneficial if an arrangement could be made with a galvaniser.

Think it was Webby of this parish that organised this with MM5OH4(?) also from here.

I benefited from this arrangement. Had to spend a couple of hours with a hammer to break galvanised link though. Very reasonable.

Last edited:

simonbertie1

Visit site
Hi thanks for that.
I spoke to them last week and they declined the work as it was too labour intensive and not enough customers. Infact all of the recommendations said that other than Yorkshire spinners. I phoned everyone from the lists from Google searches and word of mouth and asked them directly rather than the heresy route.
Thanks anyway.

Other threads that may be of interest