George Collins - Ramsholt Harbour Master

adamstjohn

Visit site
Thats terrific, it must be wonderful for him to get back to the water, its nearly the same stuff as flows in the deben, he is an amazing character.

jezjez

Visit site
Just to update, I saw George about 10 days ago (near the end of October 2023). He came down in the care home bus.
I was about to tell the driver to get off my quay, when they said George is here!
He is still getting his legs back to strength after his long stay in hospital, but he was looking well and we had a nice chat :)

RivalRedwing

Visit site
Just to update, I saw George about 10 days ago (near the end of October 2023). He came down in the care home bus.
I was about to tell the driver to get off my quay, when they said George is here!
He is still getting his legs back to strength after his long stay in hospital, but he was looking well and we had a nice chat :)
that's the trouble with hospitals, in mature people they often repair one bit but neglect the rest...

14K478

Visit site
I am glad to hear that George is on the mend.

I have a fond memory of George. Many of us know a boat rather than her owner or sometimes we know the owner by the boat. I owned a well known boat on the Deben for just short of thirty years. After a few years of being painted grey or pale blue, I decided to have a change and since a burn off was due I painted her cream. I picked up a mooring at Ramsholt and George gave me a fairly detailed description of the previous owner's sailing habits and abilities, not realizing that he was describing me to myself. Fortunately, he was complimentary!

Greg2

Visit site
Just read the following sad news on The New Ramsholt Arms Facebook page (posted yesterday):

We are so very sad to say that our dear former Harbour Master George Collins passed away peacefully yesterday morning. Our thoughts are with his family at this time.

Much loved by everyone at Ramsholt, George held the post of Harbour Master from 1983 to earlier this year and will be greatly missed by us all.

A sad loss - heartfelt condolences to family and friends.

Last edited:

DanTribe

Visit site
Just read the following sad news on The New Ramsholt Arms Facebook page (posted yesterday):

We are so very sad to say that our dear former Harbour Master George Collins passed away peacefully yesterday morning. Our thoughts are with his family at this time.

Much loved by everyone at Ramsholt, George held the post of Harbour Master from 1983 to earlier this year and will be greatly missed by us all.

A sad loss - heartfelt condolences to family and friends.
Fair winds and safe harbour George, you leave a large space to fill in many hearts.

Visit site
Hi all, the following is some sad news to all those that have visited Ramsholt on the Deben.

It is from the Ramsholt Arms Twitter feed.

"We are very sad to report that Harbour Master George went in to hospital last week. We have all been very worried about him but we have heard from brother Bill and family that he is feeling a little better and his condition is stable.
However sadly, George is not well enough to return to Ramsholt and has had to take the difficult decision to retire from his post of Harbour Master.
George has worked on the quay since 1960 and took on the role of Harbour Master from his father George Collins Senior in 1983 and has been looking after Ramsholt Quay for over 40 years, retiring at the incredible age of 93 years old.
We know that George will be greatly missed by all who visit Ramsholt and life down on the quay will never be the same again.
We will post regular updates on George and are happy to pass on any messages of well wishes that are sent to us or posted here."

Visit site
I was extremely saddened to learn of the news of George's passing on Boxing Day. George was still working until earlier this year when he suffered a small stroke. He was a remarkable character, and made it back onto the water in September with his brother Billy, where they both went on one of the Orwell cruises.

Just a small tribute, I thought I would re-air the interview and his memories that I managed to capture in 2022

sailorman

Visit site
Hi all, the following is some sad news to all those that have visited Ramsholt on the Deben.

It is from the Ramsholt Arms Twitter feed.

"We are very sad to report that Harbour Master George went in to hospital last week. We have all been very worried about him but we have heard from brother Bill and family that he is feeling a little better and his condition is stable.
However sadly, George is not well enough to return to Ramsholt and has had to take the difficult decision to retire from his post of Harbour Master.
George has worked on the quay since 1960 and took on the role of Harbour Master from his father George Collins Senior in 1983 and has been looking after Ramsholt Quay for over 40 years, retiring at the incredible age of 93 years old.
We know that George will be greatly missed by all who visit Ramsholt and life down on the quay will never be the same again.
We will post regular updates on George and are happy to pass on any messages of well wishes that are sent to us or posted here."
Sad bad news im sfraid, an item on nbc lunchtinelocal news, george went aloft boxing day morning, im supprised after reports from frirnds who visited george in the past 2 weeks,, thanks for your friendshipof 50 years, george👌

jezjez

Visit site
Rest in Peace, George.
I always did my best to sail the boat right when going past the Ramsholt Arms because I knew that George kept an eye on everything we did, and I wanted to make him proud.
He was our harbourmaster and his knowledge and care for the river reassured us that everything was alright. See you on the other side, George. We will miss you.
I’m not sure how to tell the kids. ❤️