George clark amazing spaces .

clyst

Visit site
This week included a couple who bought a wooden Thames cruiser unseen for 14k+ on eBay. Knowing absolutely nothing about boats ,not even knowing port from starboard. Turned out the boat was nothing more than a bonfire however, they considered that 25k would bring it up to scratch . In reality it cost them 100k+ ending up with a boat worth 40-50k max !!
Wonder how many other dreamers have been caught like that.

Freebee

Visit site
It brings to mind the old phrase........ a fool and his money soon parted. and chucking good money after bad!! just think what £k100+ could have bought in the classic boat world...but then I am looking at it from the boat point of view ..they were thinking that in London £k100 would not get them on the housing market...the program did not reflect on the resale value....was it an amazing space???? -sadly I don't think so.

Tranona

Visit site
Worth noting that the boat was still not operational as a boat. The engines (old GMs) and shafts still needed work. However the point was made that it was good value compared with a riverside apartment!

Tam Lin

Visit site
I know that they finished the boat as far as making a living space was concerned but they did edit out almost all of the problems they had to face and the work that had to be done. You saw it in a bit of a state then magically a year later it wax done! It never showed who did all the work (the couple themselves had no idea about boats, or it seems any of the skills needed to restore the boat). The first half of the programme should be compulsory viewing for anyone thinking of restoring an old boat!

burgundyben

Visit site
Thames cruiser

A Morgan Giles Monaco is hardly a river cruiser, they competed in the Cowes-Torquay race.

I say all credit to them, young couple, put up with some discomfort to do something different, maybe the budget was wrong, maybe it still doesn't work, but its still cooler than a part buy part rent chicken box.

Flynnbarr

Visit site
A Morgan Giles Monaco is hardly a river cruiser, they competed in the Cowes-Torquay race.

I say all credit to them, young couple, put up with some discomfort to do something different, maybe the budget was wrong, maybe it still doesn't work, but its still cooler than a part buy part rent chicken box.

Beat me to it.well said

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
There's a creek opposite Ponsharden at Falmouth ... used to be full of 'orrible old tore-outs that dreamers were going to sail around the world in ... we used to call it Dead Boat Creek. I once nailed a writ to the mast of a cat over there ... they'd have been lucky to get as far as Black Rock in it.

NickRobinson

Visit site
Not seen the prog the OP refers to, but does anyone remember the 'Grand Designs' episode with the houseboat, started off with a gothic arch, ended up with no boat yard, no welder, no mooring, and redundant house plastic windows...

davidej

Visit site
Not seen the prog the OP refers to, but does anyone remember the 'Grand Designs' episode with the houseboat, started off with a gothic arch, ended up with no boat yard, no welder, no mooring, and redundant house plastic windows...

You knew that was going to end in tears when the TV man said they were social workers from Hackney

KimberlyM

Visit site
Hi there, just wanted to give an update on this - I am one half of the couple who restored the Morgan Giles Monaco 52. She's called Maserati, named by the original owner Tommy Sopwith.

Amazing Spaces truly generates content for TV - the edit was not what we were expecting (by way of not even beginning to touch on the amount of work that went in) but it is true that we were, and still are to a degree, novices. For the record, we do know port from starboard, the show really chose to ham up that joke.

It was quite the journey, and a huge learning curve for both me and my husband. We thankfully are 'finished' (knowing the work will never ever be done!) During the project, we project managed a team of boat builders and labourers, but we did do as much unskilled labour as possible! A few stats - both engines are in full working order, the propeller shaft was able to be fixed, transom was entirely rebuit but luckily the hull was sound. Unfortunately the people who owned her in the 90's epoxied a rubber matting to the teak deck, which was unsalvageable. We couldn't just throw the beautiful teak away so ended up re-purposing (turned upside down) as flooring in the aft cabins. She's fitted with full central heating (the winter was very warm indeed), new water and electrics system, washer/dryer, pantry in place of second head, monsoon shower and the portside bow cabin has been transformed into a mini library and berth. There is a large main stateroom and a double cabin as well. We are very lucky to have gotten a mooring in central London which is icing on the cake!

Current photo attached, I promise to post many more of the restoration process soon, as many have been asking!

We definitely know she's now not worth millions, but perhaps a bit more than £40k... ☺

Any questions let me know! Ultimately though, our very abrupt introduction into the wooden boat world (and greater boat community) has been great. I can confidently say that we will probably never go back to living on dry land. (Or far from water)

dragoon

Visit site
Glad you stuck at it - myself and my wife lived on a boat on the Thames also many moons ago.

I think you may have forgotten to attach the picture. I'd be interested in seeing her now.

Cheers Paul