Genoa prefeeder

DoubleEnder

Visit site
I have a single 5mm luff groove, roller reefing and have until now just used a single headsail which stays on all season, normally. But I am getting a new lighter sail and want to make changes as easy as possible. Does a prefeeder really help, and is there a recommended make or style? Some seem to have rollers, others are a single casting I think.
Thank you
Graham

bbg

Visit site
Yes prefeeders help. If you don't have one you really need someone at the bow making sure the luff goes into the groove properly. Otherwise the bolt rope may not go in and you pull the sail up with part of the luff out of the groove. Annoying as you have to pull it down and make sure it goes in properly.

You need to make sure that the luff tape pulls all the way through the prefeeder at full hoist. It is important that the tape goes through the feeder on the way up, but you do not want to have to pull it down through the prefeeder.

I've sailed on boats with both rollers and single casting. I can't say I noticed much difference but others may have different views.

flaming

Visit site
You need to make sure that the luff tape pulls all the way through the prefeeder at full hoist. It is important that the tape goes through the feeder on the way up, but you do not want to have to pull it down through the prefeeder.

We have an opening one. It's the dog's danglies...

A-WICHARD-7485-0002.jpg

http://marine.wichard.com/fiche-A|WICHARD|7485-0204030000000000-ME.html

flaming

Visit site
cool. Never seen one of those. But is it really such a big advantage? I can really only see it being useful in a partial hoist when you want to bring the sail down again. Otherwise, why not just cut the tape off above the pre-feeder?

Yes, it is an advantage, especially when short course racing as you don't have to drop the head all the way out of the track to be able to get it back in the pre-feeder. Which means less time on the bow for your bowman, and also is an advantage with a slightly older sail where the bolt rope is starting to fray a bit as then once it's in for the day it doesn't have to come out.

bbg

Visit site
Yes, it is an advantage, especially when short course racing as you don't have to drop the head all the way out of the track to be able to get it back in the pre-feeder. Which means less time on the bow for your bowman, and also is an advantage with a slightly older sail where the bolt rope is starting to fray a bit as then once it's in for the day it doesn't have to come out.

Ah yes. It's been decades since I was a bowman. I remember both of those issues now.