Genoa luff repair

seansea

Visit site
I got a tear in the luff from abrasion from a loose screw on the forestay foil. Looks like a job for a sail maker I guess. It would be great if I could stitch it together but no idea how to replace or fix the bolt rope. Any ideas?

neil_s

Visit site
I would fold a piece of sail cloth over the luff to cover the damage and sew all round and right alongside the luff rope. Make sure it's tight over the luff so it won't jam in the groove, Finish off with a line of stitches through the luff rope. Your sewing machine might not do this - you might have to get the Speedy Sticher out!

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
a. If you add anything over the luff tape it probably won't fit into the furler luff groove. They are not roomy like mast grooves.

b. A stitching palm is generally faster and more versatile than a Speedy Stitcher. But it does take time to develop the skill. I have a stitcher, but it gets used about 50x less than the palm, sometimes supplemented with an awl and pliers. Also, the holes are smaller.

You have to post a photo if you want detailed answers. The range of repair choices is too broad.

seansea

Visit site
Hi all and many thanks for the replies. I mistakenly thought I had attached a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20240915_172338.jpg
    IMG_20240915_172338.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 9

Martin_J

Visit site
Check where the top and bottom of the luff tape are on your sail.

They probably finish six inches before the head and about the same distance about the tack.

If that's the case I doubt there could be any vertical loading on the luff rope itself.