Generator Won't Start

Petronella

Visit site
Back on the boat after six months, now in Australia, and the generator (Paguro 4000) won't start. Turns over great (battery 12.8 volts), plenty of fuel at injector. Have tried with autodecompression nut and cold start knob as per manual. No luck. Manual suggests stuck exhaust valve which sounds like a big deal.

Anything else to check first? Can I fix it myself?

Thanks
John - SV Mehalah

Zing

Visit site
Back on the boat after six months, now in Australia, and the generator (Paguro 4000) won't start. Turns over great (battery 12.8 volts), plenty of fuel at injector. Have tried with autodecompression nut and cold start knob as per manual. No luck. Manual suggests stuck exhaust valve which sounds like a big deal.

Anything else to check first? Can I fix it myself?

Thanks
John - SV Mehalah
It may also be a compression problem from a corroded (or less likely, a coked) valve. Valve issues are very common on these little used, little engines. It means taking the head off. If it’s a corroded and stuck valve and therefore a bent one you may be able to fix it after pulling it apart. Best to have a spare one ready for that. Good luck.

OCuea

Visit site
Buy a cheap endoscope to attach to your phone and have a look for corrosion? I would clean carb too.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
pop a teaspoon of oil gown the inlet tract to help compression. Lack of use is a killer of all gen sets, particularly small ones. check valve clearances, if stupidly wide , head off and replace valve(s)

NBs

Visit site
Check any fuses in your generator, they may prevent starting in your different brand. Do you have fireboy etc, a shutdown system that is connected to the genny/head motor, the wiring is worth checking.