Generator Power Opinions Sought

ip485

Visit site
As I mentioned earlier the biggest "problem" is hot water and then making water. Both require the engine to be run, or a Genset, or both. I think a far better solution for hot water is either a hydroponic heater or some form of solar heating. The hydroponic heaters can be very good, and that is the last more major mechanical addition I intend to make. I am sure it could be done in the tropics utlising water panels under the solar panels for example (I have 3 480W panels) but it just seems too much of a work up. That leaves only water production (assuming you have enough solar to meet your power needs) which is possible off the engine alone, although running the engine for long periods at anchor I still feel is a poor idea.

I cant recall the size of the OPs yacht, but I suspect with solar the single biggest issue is room to carry sufficient panels. If you cant fit enough panels (or wind) then I think you fall back on a Genset as being very nice, if not essential.

I think an arch for the panels is the best solution, and well worth considering.