Gelshield

kingfisher

Visit site
So I stripped the boat bare to the gelcoat. It only took me 2 months to scrape of the old antifouling, sand the hull to remove the primer, fine sand it to give it a finish, and fill in the bumps.

The original idea was to cover it with International Gelshield 200. I just got the quote: 44£ per 2.5l. What's this stuff made of ? Liquid gold ? Diamond dust ? A rare form of epoxy that's only found under a full moon in the siberian pine forests of Chakamaka ?

A small calculation teaches me that I need 6 cans.

Somebody tell me that there's a less expensive solution, before I slap on a primer and antifoul the lot.

Westmarine ?

Obi-Wan
http://sirocco31.tripod.com

claymore

Visit site
It will be cheaper at around £300 than getting the dreaded osmosis and having to have the whole thing peeled.
Go on... treat her, you know you want to.

G

Dont waste your money..unless you are applying to a bone dry hull and can guarantee a very low level of humidity during the application and curing period.
I had a 30ft done ''professionally'' and 18 months later the purchasers suveyor found blisters.
No problem..I had paid for the Insurance policy..
Ah yes but the problem was the heated shed was'nt heated over night and 'damp' got in between coats.
Result.. not Internationals problem but you can sue the yard if you like!!
So unless your applying in an oven dont bother

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Two months work, a breaking back wrist and arm ache daily, wished you had never started the job. Covered in anti foul bits daily baths to get the stuff out of your hair. Once the hull is clean its all worth while take a picture to remember it.
Parting with the money was the easy bit using a card takes some off the pain away.
Do not apply until the average temperature is at least 15 centigrade and the hull has been allowed to "dry". I was lucky last year temperature in April was good with a warm breeze to dry the hull also 3-4 brilliant dry days when I applied it.
Apply with a good quality rollers do not use a cheap foam one as it goes all floppy and breaks up. Buy a paint mixer, the type that fits on a drill from B&Q cost about £10 as it is essential to fully mix the two components and only mix when you are ready to apply the paint. I also bought disposable trays that fit in the plastic tray a new roller is also required for each coat.
Just pray for fine weather.
Go for it!
Trevor

VMALLOWS

Visit site
Does anyone have any comments on the relative differences between the old (1985 ish) solvent based epoxies (eg Hempels) and the later water based versions?

My solvent based epoxy (from new) seems to be standing up fine even though applied in relatively adverse conditions. It seems rather 'soft' which is surprising to me (shouldn't it be rock hard?) or does that mean it flexes?

Absolutely no signs of osmosis . Any chemists out there?

Starspinner

Visit site
I used Seajet, it was easy to apply and was thick. There are no visible defects after one year. it was a lot cheaper than Gelshield.