Gelcoat chalking

G

Our boat is 30 yrs old and I have discoloured/chalky navy blue geloat on my topsides (although the white gel is fine). I have tried using cutting paste with and without a car polisher but to no effect. I have also tried rubbing a small patch continuously for 40 mins with paste to see if elbow grease alone was the key. Still no effect. I presume the discolouration is some form of oxidisation. Perhaps some chemical treatments are available? ( There is discussion on the noticeboard of professional valet type services. What do they use? Is commercially it available?). Any experience or useful tips gratefully received before I admit defeat and paint it.

bedouin

Visit site
When asked elsewhere, others have recommended a product called 'Polytrol' with an evangelistic zeal that rivals Depsol on Soltron.

I've no personal experience of this product but it must be worth a look.

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Try calling Peter Furby of 3M Marine products (he is always willing to talk to Forum members) and explain the problem. Knowing Peter, he will be able to help. Tel - 07770 284926.

The cutting compounds used are critical. Incorrect products can ruin surfaces. I have used his products on my boat, which has dark burgundy topsides, to quite stunning effect - from white bloom to original brilliance.

Piers du Pré
MBM Cruising Club enthusiast
www.dupre.co.uk/fsPlaydeau.htm

pvb

Visit site
Aagghh!

I've used Polytrol, and wish I hadn't! Dark blue gelcoat looked marginally better for about a week, then started looking patchy. Better to do a proper job with cutting paste and then give it a really good polish.

Agree that 3M have some very good products. I've also been very impressed by Meguiars products.

BarryH

Visit site
I use Farclea G3 compound to good effect. Must be applied with a damp polishing mop or cloth. Keep the mop wet with a water sprey to stop the machine burning the compound into the surface. Finish off with a good wax based polish to give final shine and seal. works well for me.

quaelgeist2

Visit site
Don't know whether it could work equally well for you, but GRPro got back a shine on my 20 year hull. Just had it done and this week complete with deck and coachroof.

The bad part:
- It is not a DIY product, but is applied by professionals in a franchise system
- While here in Holland a guy asked for about GBP100 for the hull (and 200 for the whole boat), I have heard that his UK colleagues are not so modest in their pricing

You may want to check for a 'cash-pricing' with your local guy, though. Also, the buy here in Holland showed me on a small part first how well it worked - my wife took the decision then quickly ;-)

At the end of the day, what is a good look worth - TO YOU ?

have a good season!

chris

Afterthought: Why don't you plan asail to Holland this summer and have it done there. Just takes a few calls - mail me if you want the details of the rep in my area.