Gearbox oil checking

emnick

Visit site
I have a Yanmar 3JH3E engine with a Kanzakie KM3A gearbox . Not sure if I am checking oil in the gearbox properly.
Should I be screwing in the (yellow) dipstick or just dipping it .
I have always just dipped it but read on another forum that I should screw it in and out to check oil
Thank

pvb

Visit site
Yanmar operator manuals generally say to fully re-insert the dipstick when checking the oil level (ie screw it in).

lpdsn

Visit site
I've just checked the manual for my Kanzaki-Hurth KBW21 (attached to 4JH 2BE) and that has an explicit statement not to screw the dipstick in. It says it should rest on top of the oil filler hole.

pvb

Visit site
I suspect there are conflicting instructions. At the end of the day it won't make a lot of difference - the OP could always just screw the dipstick in halfway!

lpdsn

Visit site
I suspect there are conflicting instructions. At the end of the day it won't make a lot of difference - the OP could always just screw the dipstick in halfway!

I suspect I may have screwed it in to test the level last time I changed the gear box oil. It was only this thread that prompted me to re-check the manual.

VicMallows

Visit site
This is a perpetual problem with every engine (and gearbox) I have ever owned ...marine, garden, or whatever. Not one has had clear instructions on how the dip-stick should be inserted for measurement. In most cases the difference (screwed in/rested on top) is greater than the difference between the min/max marks on the dipstick.

With nothing better to go on, I initially fill to give the maximum sump level ( as indicated by dipstick resting on top). If lots of oil gets thrown/burnt out that is obviously wrong, and the measurement is presumably meant to be with the 'stick screwed in :disgust:

Why this is such a difficult issue for manufacturers is beyond me.