gear

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Well the boat is bought and we are about to commence our first seasons cruising. She is moored on the Algarve so the weather should be decent most of the year. Now we need to kit out our wardrobe-used the sailing school stuff up tp now. What do you lot of seasoned salts recommend that we spend our remaing few euros on?The choice appears to be overwhelming, don't think that we need the Southern Ocean gear yet but need to be prepared for some offshore weather, oh and I do like to have warm feet!
All suggestions gratefully received.

G

Enough for modesty - no more

In the Algarve that should do nicely .

Seriously, I am a great beliver in sussing out what the natives do ( the ones that actually go sailing for more than a day that is).

My guess would be something a bit hardy as the sea is a bit cool down there and the wind can blow some as well.

G

Re: Enough for modesty - no more

Tilley hats work and stay on your head, recommended in sunny climes.

A friend bought an expensive sailing jacket with built-in harness...but is annoyed at the constant tinkling of the shackles on his chest, so don't buy that.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Whatever you buy, get it at boat shows. Lasy year's colours/flavours are on sale at about half the price of this year's. Sometimes the current version may incorporate technical improvements, e.g. better breathing properties, but this is unlikely to make a huge amount of difference.

G

No matter how favorable the climate, including sailing on the equator, you will need to keep warm and dry. We have various weights of foul weather gear. The best is made of Gore-Tex(tm), which "breathes", keeping water droplets out, but letting water vapor escape to keep you from feeling as if you're in a steam bath. I personally like a poncho-type covering, which can be closed up watertight better.

wet or dry, sometimes you will get cold feet. In the sleep section of US department stores there are sock slippers - thick socks with a non-skid application on the sole. I can't stand shoes, so this keeps my feet warm but aren't slippery. I wouldn't go forward under way with them on, though - I would change to non-skid shoes for foredeck work.

Make sure you have good harnesses for all crew. We like the inflatable life jacket with harness incorporated ("Sospenders"(tm) is one version). Ours are relatively old, so we put our own reflective tape on them. New ones, I understand, already have reflective tape.

Fair winds,

G

Decent oilskins are best appreciated at 0300 in a force 7 and a lumpy seaway! Don't stint yourself you'll only regret it. Beware of Musto gear, the quality has gone through the floor since they started manufacturing in China.

On the Dubarry boots, they look a bit short to me, or am I the only one who's trousers get rucked up. No rude comments please!

SNAPS

Visit site
Re: Enough for modesty - no more

The mind boggles - everyone running about in just a tilley hat -
complete with chinstrap, of course.

JACKTAR

G

Ever seen a fisherman wearing breathable oilies? Id say buy cheap and upgrade where you have been out a bit and found what is going to suit you for that area. Can recommend good thermals and fleece/furry as way of staying snug even when wet which is the main secret because nothing short of a dry-suit can garentee to keep you dry. Also windproofs rather than oilies unless it realy is wet are more comfortable, cheaper and harder wearing.

Roly, Voya Con Dios, Glasson, Lancaster

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Thank you all for your thought provoking(!) and useful advice. Avoided spending over £600 each at the Boat Show on 'best gear available' - actually that wasn't too difficult...
Have however invested in the Dubarry boots and don't think I am ever going to take them off, they may turn out to be a bit warm for the Algarve in August but the UK in January is perfect weather!

Other threads that may be of interest