GBR

ccscott49

Visit site
I see from the YBW news, Mr. Prescott is in new zealand giving GBR a pat on the back. Its a great pity the British Government, couldn't give the companies supporting this a decent tax break, to give more companies the incentive to "invest" in this endeavour! If you read it the New Zealand govrnment are fully behind this, witha minister for "the cup". they recognise the wealth it has brought to the country. I always find it a pity we in this country don't support our yacht persons (trying to be Politically correct) Other countries do. We don't give our mainstream sports persons support, so I guess yachting comes well down, being a "rich mans" sport/pastime. Its a pity one of the lads didn't marry a spice girl, we'd have got plenty of coverage then! Sorry to get on m,y soap box so early, but that brawling pillock, really gets up my nose and lack of support for our sportsmen and women! I look to Holland to see how sport should be supported!

G

Ccscott makes good points, but here are a couple more.
(1) Keep governments out of sport and in particular away from this and other yachting projects. The reasons are well known. (2) This GBR Am Cup challenge is not intended to win the cup, which it cannot do. It is re-entry (as stated by the managers) after a period away. It took Australia five attempts. Work away at it and there is a serious British possibilty in about the years 2012-2015.

ccscott49

Visit site
I agree, I said on purpose, "let the government give the companies a tax break", I don't want those idiots anywhere near our sport! Probably nationalise it!

G

The NZ Govt would get its hands on anything if it made the politicans look good.

Yachting in Auckland is in serious decline.

Yachting clubs are scratching for members, few new boats are built unless its a "Super Yacht". The ordinery cruising yachtsman is a dying breed.

We are returning to sailing as it was at the beginnng of the 20th Centuray. Paid crew on someone elses big toy. Not funded by the gentry but by big business.

Few can now afford to buy saing boats for cruisng.

claymore

Visit site
You\'re Brave

Johnny Two-Jags packs a mean right hander - the critical nature of your posting could well put you in line for the next one. Nice to read that the Kiwi's are struggling - it doesn't seem to have affected their rugby just yet though.

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: You\'re Brave

I'm hoping to get some reaction out of the, useless git! His transport policy stinks aswqell, get us all out of our cars and onto public transport by taxation, OK, good idea! Save the enviroment etc. Where's this public transport then????

claymore

Visit site

I'm not sure that he is a forum member so possibly this isn't the right place for getting some reaction from him.
In terms of public transport - and I'm not taking sides here - but I feel its a bit like warming someone up from hypothermia, I think it will probably take as long to get it back up as it has taken to get it down. Of course we know better than to look to point blame at a Politician, they are after all, blameless so it must be the civil serpents who've been getting it wrong all these years. Now look what you've started - lets talk about de-regulation of the buses, never mind which ministry or even which government was responsible, if we had a social conscience, would we really be sending children to school on the set of de-mothballed old shaggers that we see, coughing shite from their worn-out engines every day. Perhaps parents are voting with their feet which is why my ride to work is done in the company of gas-guzzling 4x4's taking their offspring to school instead of sticking them on busses.
Gosh where did all that come from
regards
John S

ccscott49

Visit site

John, I know what you mean, why doesn't the MOT regs, on engine emissions go for these old, london buses, that WERE scrapped ten years ago! The system doesn't work we all know it doesn't even Presscoat knows, but they tell everbody it does and what do we do? baaa baaa baaa,

PS. I wouldnt mind a copuple of the old gardners some of these buses have, they dont have to smoke like a dockside tart, a bit of governer fettling and they purr like pussycats!

Drummond

Visit site
The point is we are doing well winning the big ticket races. We are the best there is by far. The point is that this is not having much effect on on recreational sailing.

Racing is now so competetive that the racer/cruiser of the past is now the racer/??? that you have to be an athlete to sail in any sort of blow. The less competetive racers were always a good source of cruisng boats, no any more.

No one here in NZ is building affordable cruisers for mum and dad and the kids.

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Two the same?!!

Do you like talking to yourself. Kiwijock and Drummond seem to be the same person!!!. How is it that Kiwijock and Tom Drummond are the same people and get to have two listings at the same time. When I tried to do this I got blocked from all directions or is this allowed now. Also is this the nature of you people in the antipodes, that you have split personalities and spend all your time talking and writing to yourself. Probably a feature of being isolated at the bottom of the world and perhaps a certain amount of resultant in-breeding. (;-)> Kia Ora, mate(s).

claymore

Visit site
Re: Two the same?!!

It'll be some Kiwi poll tax thing where they double up the numbers and claim extra funding - I assume we still send them money and food parcels?
Doesn't Jonah Lomu look rather fetching in that satin-effect shirt they all wear and what on earth is the Captain of the All - blacks doing with a name like Anton? Big Jessie.

G

Look again

Take another look JJT you will find that the user profiles have changed now. Perhaps you stood on his corns. I did not think that KIWIs were so sensitive.