Gas water heater

Beadle

Rural Nth Yorks - 2 miles from bus stop, 8 miles f
Visit site
Turned on the hot water system on the boat the other day. Result was no water from taps - lots of water from somewhere inside the machine.

Examination showed that two of the water pipes had split. Almost certainly frost damage.

The splits are only small - each about 1/4 inch long.

Question is - is it possible to repair these splits, soldering I guess. If so I would appreciate any suggestions. Only other solution would be to buy a new heater at around £200! - and that would involve shifting all the pipework about - which I don't fancy much.

Any ideas much appreciated.

starfire

Visit site
Possible to get a replacement heat exchanger for it ?

Or if its likely to be scrap anyway, get someone to silver solder or braze the splits, I would not rely on on soft solder. You might be able to split some short pieces of copper pipe to form a patch over the splits & solder/braze them.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I doubt they would be under much pressure, but are they in the boiler? Will they have flame playing on them? It won't get hot enough to melt solder as long as there is water inside.

What would I do? Drain it off, then use a heavy knife or screwdriver to close down the splits a little, clean well & solder. Refill & test. But that's me.

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Turned on the hot water system on the boat the other day. Result was no water from taps - lots of water from somewhere inside the machine.

Examination showed that two of the water pipes had split. Almost certainly frost damage.

The splits are only small - each about 1/4 inch long.

Question is - is it possible to repair these splits, soldering I guess. If so I would appreciate any suggestions. Only other solution would be to buy a new heater at around £200! - and that would involve shifting all the pipework about - which I don't fancy much.

Any ideas much appreciated.

I had exactly the same....i was in a rush so bought a new rinnai but the bust one is being repaired by braizing the split pipes.

chwarae

Visit site
Water Heater

Hi,
I have a second hand Rinnai which you can have for a very good price. I purchased it on ebay to replace a smaller water heater which I think was made or sold somewhere in Hull.
The original was mounted in landscape where the Runnai is mounted in portrait (hope that makes sense). The heater I'm looking for was fitted to some older Moody 33s although I have seen the Rinnai also fitted. The reason I require the smaller version is due to the size of bulkhead that it originally fitted.
If anyone has the a horizontal gas water heater that they wish to sell or know where I can obtain one I would be very grateful.
Best Wishes
Harry.

chwarae

Visit site
water heater

Hi,
I repaired the small original water heater with solder quite easily and I'm no plumber. It eventually died of old age much to my regret and it's sorely missed.
Hope you can sort it out.
Best Wshes
Harry.

Pasarell

Visit site
On my Moody 33 I have the original Vaillant water heater. It was given a clean bill of health by the gas engineer much to his surprise but the water flow was low due to scale in the heat exchanger. After several attempts to descale it he contacted Vaillant who have all the spares still available. New heat exchanger arrived in 3 days. If it's a Vaillant they probably have what you need as well if the soldering doesn't work.

daveyw

Visit site
I doubt they would be under much pressure, but are they in the boiler? Will they have flame playing on them? It won't get hot enough to melt solder as long as there is water inside.

What would I do? Drain it off, then use a heavy knife or screwdriver to close down the splits a little, clean well & solder. Refill & test. But that's me.

+1 Just make sure it is well drained and there is no water inside otherwise soldering will be impossible. Soft solder should be fine.