Gas lockers and supply - EC Regs

G

My father and I are in the process of updating the gas locker and supply to comply with the EC regulations. Can anyone direct me or inform of these requirements. Currently the gas bottle is in the port cockpit locker which has the fuel tank and space for fenders. The gas bottle is currently at the forward end of the locker. The idea is to keep the gas bottle there, fiberglass a section into the locker to separate the bottle, not all the way to the top (thinking is that gas is heavier than air). Then place a pipe from the bottom of the locker to the stern of the boat which is about 5 foot, this would mean we could drop the outlet as close to the 12 inches as possible(not too close to the waterline). The boat in question is a snapdragon 747.

If anyone has any thoughts they are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Richard.

G

Any gas locker should be constructed of fire resistant materials to British Standard. The locker should be separate from the fuel tank and vented at it's lowest point over the side. The locker should be deep enough to take the cylinder and regulator and have a lid. All pipework outside the locker should be of solid drawn copper, run as high as possible an be connected by compression joints. Solder joints are not permissable.

G

Alan,

Thank you for your response, I have a couple of queries for you. Why does the fuel tank need to be in a diferent locker, they are both volatile substances and the mix wouldn't necessarily make them any more volatile. In response to the fire resistance, is fiberglassed over plywood ok? Also on the venting, can I drain it into the cockpit, if I going over the side there is danger of the locker flooding when we are heeling.

Thank you for your earlier response, any further insight is appreciated.

Cheers,

Richard.

Other threads that may be of interest