Gas installation

DanTribe

Visit site
Can anyone help please.I need to upgrade my gas pipework.I have a single Calor bottle in cockpit gas locker,presently connected with flexible pipe which I'm changing to copper.The Calor booklet recommends a bulkhead mounted regulator with high pressure connection to the bottle.I'm nervous about HP flexible pipe and prefer to keep things simple.Any advice please?

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Have a read of Andrew Simpsons article on gas installation in the Feb issue of PBO. Page 58, "Then there's gas..." if you just go into WHSmiths and have a read.

He has used flexible. My Konsort has copper, but a flexible pipe connects the regulator to the copper pipe - and again between the gimballed cooker and copper pipe (after the isolator valve).

regards,
Philip

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Direct to the bottle.

Safest option is to fit the regulator directly to the bottle and no other high pressure hose is needed. Thus the rest of the gas line is then only low presure [a pound or two] and you can use a flexable hose that is rated for gas. Copper line not needed and my experience of copper is that it is not worth the bother. If you hunt around you can also get a fitting that attaches immediately after the regulator and shuts off the gas flow if there is an uncontrolled leak. Never used this myself and always turn off the gas at the bottle and let the flame burn out. Then turn off the stove valve at the stove. This means that there is only a minimum amount of gas in the line at most times of non use, and gas is only in the line when the appliance is being used.

G

If you have more than one gas appliance i.e. cooker or heater or planning to extend then you're back to copper.