Gas hose

mcanderson

Visit site
I am trying to find a replacement for my butane gas hose that is fitted to our Beneteau 323. The hose is rubber 600mm long and is fitted post the regulator and then onto the fitted gas fittings. The regulator screws straight onto the 4.5kg gas bottle and then the hose screws onto the regulator. The hose has two identical fittings on each end which are approx 17mm in diameter.

Any ideas?

pappaecho

Visit site
You are going to have to make one up. Being French have different regulations as the UK. Probably the best bet is to take the assembly to a camping shop and they should have the parts

slipknot

Visit site
I took mine (Beneteau) to the local Calor shop and they made mine up using my original fittings. Cost a fortune! £70 for 2 hoses (using 2 of my original fittings too!)

In hindsight I would have been better off removing the existing fittings on the ends of the 8mm pipes and replacing with UK fittings.

I could have then used 'off the shelf hoses' and had the flexibility to have added testers in the line etc

Last edited:

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
I am trying to find a replacement for my butane gas hose that is fitted to our Beneteau 323. The hose is rubber 600mm long and is fitted post the regulator and then onto the fitted gas fittings. The regulator screws straight onto the 4.5kg gas bottle and then the hose screws onto the regulator. The hose has two identical fittings on each end which are approx 17mm in diameter.

Any ideas?

Suggest you try your local caravan shop as they stock most fittings for all types of gas fittings and most are completly made up ready to fit.
Don't mess with gas, do it right!! you only get it wrong once!!
Try here:
http://www.everything4leisure.com/acatalog/info_GA01-6020SS.html

Hope this helps

Mike

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
Call up your local "Pirtek" dealer http://www.pirtek.co.uk/service-centre-locator.aspx and see it they have the gas hose.

If not then get your hose from a camping shop; ensure you've got the correct BS and a long life date reference; take the old hose and fittings along to Pirtek and they will refit the old ends to the new pipe (if your Benny is like my Jeanneau then sourcing new fittings can be a pain).

Pirtek costs? " a small donation in our charity box will suffice,sir"

mcanderson

Visit site
Solution found?

I think I have found a replacement, but does anyone know the techical term for the connections shown on this hose? Is it as simple as 1/4" LH?

As ever thanks for the help.

alan

Visit site
Socal Gas Pipes

Looks like you have already sourced them but Southampton Calor Gas (www.socal.co.uk) have them and actually advertise them as the "orange ones as used by Ben, Jen e.t.c.". They are not cheap though.

Most people here (in Italy) cut the ends off the original ones and buy some pipe from the local chandlers and fix it with two jubilee clips at each end ......... don't know how legal that is though !!! Personally I bought the real ones just in case the insurance company were ever needed!!!!!!!

Alan.

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
I think I have found a replacement, but does anyone know the techical term for the connections shown on this hose? Is it as simple as 1/4" LH?

As ever thanks for the help.

The ends in your picture are the same as my Jeanneau. Whilst the Calor shop may now be able to supply I had great difficulty/impossible to source them when replacing my flexi-hose (date expired) a few years ago. As my yacht was coded it had to be the right stuff. The flexi-hose should be stamped BS3212:1991/2/n (where 2/n: the 2 is the acceptable crushabilty characteristic of the hose to withstand damage and n is the bore in mm); and date stamped appropriately.

The bore you require for these ends is 6mm. As said previously I've used Pirtek to remove and crimp-fit the old ends to new hose.

Add: just looked at your picture and I don't see any information stamped on the hose - I wouldn't use that, even though the label may state the characteristics.

Last edited:

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Sorry for butting in here, but I was going to post on this subject.
I had to renew my standard orange gas hose, same bs mark as one in pic below.
I bought from a chandlers on sat, date mark 2008, did question this.
Saw same hose in a local well known diy store today, date stamped 2010.
Should the 2008 hose still be offered for sale?

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
Sorry for butting in here, but I was going to post on this subject.
I had to renew my standard orange gas hose, same bs mark as one in pic below.
I bought from a chandlers on sat, date mark 2008, did question this.
Saw same hose in a local well known diy store today, date stamped 2010.
Should the 2008 hose still be offered for sale?

The date stamp shows the month and year of manufacture. There are differing standards as to what is considered the "life" of hose. For coded UK boats it's 5 years from date of manufacture and it should then be changed. The BSS, IIRC, doesn't declare hose life; it references inspection, chafing, wear and tear, visible cracks and allows the use of worm clips to connect the ends.

mcanderson

Visit site
Result and thanks

Steve_Clayton was 100% right. Pirtek was excellent and a new hose with connectors cost me

£10 to their charity!

One to store away for the future!

DownWest

Visit site
Just to add: the domestic hose here is stamped for it's change by date. I bought 1.5 mt +2 clips for €5.80. a couple of days ago. Regs are quite different around europe. It is still OK to have the gas bottle in the kitchen here. In Portugal that has been illegal for years. and max flexible is 1mt. Hobs must have solid tube. All joints must be hard soldered and none hidden in walls. In France they seem more casual. Soft solder and long flexies.

Also, threads are all BSP here, just have metric names. Same in Spain and Portugal. So if you have a French boat, you can use british fittings.