Gas fridge Electrolux RM212- gas no longer ignites

Tormod

Visit site
Hi folks,
Came back alongside the marina and left the gas on to the fridge (Electrolux RM 212) when I connected the shore power. Next day after sailing away, I realised that the fridge was not working. Checked gas bottle and ok! Ignitor sparks fine! Read the 2 pages photocopy of a manual and it states...."do not run the fridge on gas at the same time as mains power". Great! Unfortunately it does not say why and it very certainly does not say what to do about! I would appreciate some idea of what may be the best way around the problem? (The fridge is built in with hard piped gas inlet and exhaust which I can just make out through the top grill. I believe it would not be a 5 min job to get access to the back but will probably be something to do with the answer).
Thanks,
Tormod.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
You're unlikely to hurt the gas system by running both simultaneously. The same cannot be said of the electrical element, but the main risk is of overheating the cooling circuit itself, though as the fridge has not melted its probably fine...

I suspect that the gas side is just being its usual difficult self -
If you let the fridge 'run dry' of gas it may have air in the gas line which can take some time to bleed through before it will light.
The spark ignitor may have moved out of alignment,
Overheating may have caused a piece of scale or carbon to obstruct the jet, etc, etc.

Using a tube to blow the top of the jet clean could be a plan and should take no prior dismantling, just lift out the carbon detector* first.

* a piece of wire with a twisted strip of metal hanging off the bottom.

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
It sounds as though gas is not reaching the burner. If you can see the spark through the window in the back of the fridge, it would suggest the igniter is in position. It is a mechanical shut off in the gas control that you hold in to light the fridge, which is held open by the thermocouple when alight. If gas was getting through you would get pops or bangs as the gas exploded in the exhaust tube. It's all copper pipe and brass fittings, so unlikely to be related to running on both gas and electric. It seems strange that the jet has completely blocked suddenly, they normally partially block and the fridge doesn't get as cold as normal. Are you sure you haven't inadvertently closed a gas valve somewhere?

Topcat47

Visit site
I had a similar problem with my oven last year (mind you it is over 40 years old). Friendly neighbourhood caravan shop found the burner clogged with rust (no SS bits back then). A few minutes with an air hose and re-fitting the bits was all that was needed (and test of course). They even cleaned out the rest of the pipes and put a bit of HT grease on the taps. Now it's as good as new. Well not quite but there's not much you can do about the cosmetics but they don't stop it working. The fitter said don't ever get rid of it as these older stoves are pretty bomb proof.

Tormod

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback,
The problem arose after we arrived in Vigo southbound and having had a following F8 the previous 24hrs rounding Finisterre. (Colvic Watson 32 which was very 'lively' and even managed to churn the milk in the fridge into butter!!) There is a good chance as suggested that it may be dirt/rust moved in the burner. The fridge was working well for the previous 5 days on gas and I actually thought the bottle was empty. It seemed to still have some liquid in it but I changed for a full 4.5kg bottle just in case but to no avail. The system has just been upgraded with a new dual fuel gas regulator from Hayward in anticipation of having to change over to camping gaz in Portugal. Fridge still works fine on mains power. I have spent a very long time trying to purge any possible 'air lock' with the lighting push button and believe that this can't be the problem. When I go back to the boat in a few weeks (unfortunately have to work for the luxury) I will take heed of your excellent advice and try to rectify the problem. Will let you know how I get on. Tks.

Momac

Visit site
I have has some refills that were reluctant to deliver their gas - I think some water may get in when they refill .
I might have suggested you shake the gas bottle to stir up the gas , but it sounds like the F8 did that for you.

Heckler

Visit site
I have has some refills that were reluctant to deliver their gas - I think some water may get in when they refill .
I might have suggested you shake the gas bottle to stir up the gas , but it sounds like the F8 did that for you.
My mate used to be area manager for Calor. I had an issue with a new bottle not delivering gas. He explained that sometimes peeps would leave the empty bottle valve open and the bottle would then be full of sir. When it was refilled the air would be compressed but still in there. Then when first used the air would come out and the stove wouldnt light. Solution? Open the valve with the bottle in an open area and let some "gas" out. Just a quick blast is what I did, prob solved!
S