Gas bottle storage

Scomber

Visit site
My 1980 yacht never had gas. When we installed a gas cooker we decided to install the gas bottle in a s/s frame on the stern rail. The frame has a sunbrella cover so the gas bottle is not exposed to sunlight. It all looks neat and is probably the safest way to locate a gas bottle with regard to a leak
We too have stern rail fitted. Sounds like a tidy set up , any pics? We use calor and camping gaz depending on where we are , can your ss cage cope with both size of bottle? Thanks. PS We do our own gas work as other than a valve near back of cooker its a continuous run. The gas locker drain is as far as you can see.

ashanta

Visit site
Thank you for this. I am considering this as I have space on the stern. I do not have space to create a locker within the cockpit. Is it possible to pm with some photos of your installation including the sunbrella? Thanks again.

ashanta

Visit site
2 x 10kg bottles and it would have no effect on my yacht. A Dehler 37. This has been my thought process and I am pleased with his reply to me as he has actually answered my question.

ashanta

Visit site
I already have bubble tester and gas detection. This is just a question the rules regarding storage in older vessel before the insurance guys stared to insist on draining lockers.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
It's not a matter of 'insurance guys insisting'. If you care more about compliance with insurance rules than about your own safety, that up to you.
I already have bubble tester and gas detection. This is just a question the rules regarding storage in older vessel before the insurance guys stared to insist on draining lockers.

Venus1

Visit site
Hoping not to skew the thread too much, but...
I know that escaped gas is an explosion hazard.
Does it also contain carbon monoxide (or is that just a product of burning gas at the cooker?)
I’m wondering if my carbon monoxide alarm will detect escaped propane (I’m cringing - be kind)

VicS

Visit site
Hoping not to skew the thread too much, but...
I know that escaped gas is an explosion hazard.
Does it also contain carbon monoxide (or is that just a product of burning gas at the cooker?)
I’m wondering if my carbon monoxide alarm will detect escaped propane (I’m cringing - be kind)

No the gas does not contain CO. It can be formed as a product of combustion if the oxygen/air supply is restricted or by a defective burner.

CO detectors suffer from cross-sensitivities to other gases but AFAIK are not sensitive to the LPG gases, but I may be wrong. You could not use it in place of a proper gas alarm because even if cross-sensitive it would not alarm at the correct concentration.

The usual cross-sensitivity which triggers CO alarms is due to hydrogen from batteries.

cloud7

Visit site
I asked for a gas safety certificate from the uk supplier of my new boat , they refused said never been asked or supplied before .

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Err you lost me, the sealed gas locker is in the open cockpit and also has a 20 mm dia drain to outside the boat 'above the waterline', also I have a gas detector before the gas bottle which together with the gas bottle valve is OFF when not in use, so where is the gas coming from when you open the door ????

a. I simply do not see the drain.
b. I don't see a gasket, therefore it is not sealed.
c. People don't always close the bottle valve and regulator leaks are common place.
d. Gas can come out faster than the drain can easily handle. You need BOTH a drain and a seal. Top loading just adds extra safety, as does locating it somewhere other than the cockpit.

No, if you are perfect you will never have an accident. Standards like this are based on accident history.

Last edited:

steve yates

Visit site
You asked me for the information
I gave it to you
I aslo interpted it as best I could
you then argue that the RYA know better
I corrected you
The dialouge in the HSe Booklet is Vague but clealry states without objection the rules to be followed , which I have displayed this would superseed anything I have said in prevoius quotes (this is obvious to me) and others
I have already said that the term Live aboard is the point that Gas Engineer would need to be called as I see it , I aslo stated that as good practice it is best to get a qaulifed gas fitter to look at any major work getting carried out
At no point did I say you cannot do this yourself, but that you should get it inspected my a qualified fitter , the Law clealry states when that Gas fitter should be required . again which superseeds my first qoute :encouragement:
You are like a person that cannot be wrong and need to constanly argue for the last point when if you took the time to read as you have requested from me then there would be no need for this game of tennis ,
But I have had the pleasure of those that cannot admit something , makes me chuckle , I wonder do you look in the mirror and argue with yourself :p

That's rather unfair, you posted , as fact , a statement that any new installations or modifications of gas systems on a boat could only be done by a qualified person.

Pete asked which legislation stated this, he even pointed out the exemption for leisure boaters.

Your arguments against have been solely based on your idea that no one should do it themselves. That's an opinion, which you are entitled to. But it is not how things stand currently. In this case, you were wrong and just won't admit it.

Specifically, this..."Any Gas work to remodernise a boat or a new installtion where gas will be used no matter if on boats or houses , will fall under the Gas saftey umberella and must be fitted by a qualified gas fitter , this was due to the number of deaths on Narrow Boats many years ago"....

I am going to replace my gas cooker and the gas hoses in my bradwell 18, according to your statement, I cannot do it myself. Which is not actually the case. (I may decide to have someone qualified do it, but I am not legally bound to do so. )

Last edited: