Garmin transom mount clearvu

raymondmcm

Visit site
Has anyone tried one of these in a water or oil bath inside the hull ?

Not worried about extreme depths and it's a yacht so low speed

Nigel_Ward

Visit site
About 20 years ago I fitted one from a Garmin fishfinder (b&w). I built a small grp box and stuck it in the hull and filled it with fresh water. Worked fine. It was a small 20ft sailing boat.

Daverw

Visit site
We have a Lowrence version on a thick bed of silicon in the hull, has worked fine for last 5 years

MikeCC

www.allGadgets.co.uk
I think some previous comments have overlooked the ClearVu aspect. You won't get much (if any) of a result for the downview because of the much higher frequency it uses. Anywhere that might be suitable for it will likely have a more substantial layup which won't help. There's a reason that there aren't in-hull downview/sideview transducers.

Standard sonar will probably be OK if you're happy with that.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Every manufacturer of sonar transducers warns against using Silicon.

I agree with Mike, standard sonar is good enough in hull, but i'd expect some loss of performance with ClearVu etc. It's all well and good saying "it works fine in hull or it works fine with Silicon, but unless you've carried out testing with the transponder in hull, through hull (or transom mount), fixed with Silicon, or fixed as per manufacturer instructions, how can you know how well it's working, other than being able to say you get some sort of return ?

Daverw

Visit site
I did both, originally fitted it temporarily to back of sugar scoop but it look stupid and kept getting knocked, so thought to try though hull, just used what I had in a tube to bed down and have never moved it since, the two locations did not appear to show any significant differences. Though neither were as clear as the ones in the manuals.

Hunterlees

Visit site
Only this week I fitted a Garmin GT15 in hull transducer to go with my new Striker 7SV. Seems to work well through a pretty thick hull, and the different mountings supplied made it easy to get it level. Running in a bath of antifreeze.
I didnt want to have to lift out for a through hull, and I also didnt want to driil a hole in the transom for the cable, so an in hull was better for me.
Slight downside is that whilst it operates on dual frequencies it is more of a traditional sonar, but images are clear.