Garmin Reactor 40 - use with non Garmin Pump

jrudge

Visit site
I have bought a few bits that give me a

Garmin GHC 50 Display

Garmin CCU

Garmin ECU 10

I currently have a Raymarine system with a " Raymarine" pump likely made by someone else.

The ECU 10 connects to the pump - but only a Garmin pump. This has a Green connector with 2 wires to the pump - Plus and minus.

There is another unit that looks the same for connection to non Garmin pumps but the drive output is a different colour ( Blue) and it has 4 connections - 2 for motor and 2 for clutch. To my knowledge I dont have a clutch

You cant buy the different ECU from Garmin - they only sell the whole lot - and on eBay are expensive ( I paid not much for a new ECU10).

I spoke with Garmin Support ( who told me I had the wrong bit) but I suggested to them that presumably the unit applies a positive voltage to make the pump go one way and a negative to make it go the other - so other than the fact they dont sell a cable is here any reason it would not work ?

He went away for a bit and said - in theory you are right.

There also sell a standard cable to allow used of a resistive rudder sensor so that but seems covered.

Now I dont know he spoke to, but I wondered on experiance on here.

Specifically

1 Has any one done this ( likely not!)

2. Can anyone confirm that the Garmin pump works by having a positive voltage to make it do one way and a negative to make it go the other ?

3 .Any particular reason why this wont work ?

Logic tells me it will, but logic also tells me that if gamin had the option of making only one ECU they would have done that also.

Garmin pumps are nothing special other than they have an integrated position sensor.

Any guidance appreciated.

vas

Visit site
not done it, I have a fully garmin a/p system ECU10, CCU et al. if it's a lot of faffing about, maybe worth getting a 2lt Garmin pump and be done with? I know not the cheap way of doing things but you could then sell the raymarine stuff alltogher as a kit on ebay?
fwiw I have the small 1.2lt pump but I guess at 58ft you'll probably need the big one.
@PaulRainbow should be able to advice I think

cheers

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I have bought a few bits that give me a

Garmin GHC 50 Display

Garmin CCU

Garmin ECU 10

I currently have a Raymarine system with a " Raymarine" pump likely made by someone else.
Important question, exactly which Raymarine pump ?

Some have a bypass valve that uses the clutch connection, if you have this, you can't use the ECU12.
The ECU 10 connects to the pump - but only a Garmin pump. This has a Green connector with 2 wires to the pump - Plus and minus.

There is another unit that looks the same for connection to non Garmin pumps but the drive output is a different colour ( Blue) and it has 4 connections - 2 for motor and 2 for clutch. To my knowledge I dont have a clutch
You can buy drive and rudder feedback cables for the other ECU, as that's designed for retrofit.
You cant buy the different ECU from Garmin - they only sell the whole lot - and on eBay are expensive ( I paid not much for a new ECU10).

I spoke with Garmin Support ( who told me I had the wrong bit) but I suggested to them that presumably the unit applies a positive voltage to make the pump go one way and a negative to make it go the other - so other than the fact they dont sell a cable is here any reason it would not work ?
Never tried fitting this combination, but i think it should work. You'll need the interconnect cable to go between the ECU and CCU, that's available. Power cable is straightforward and the rudder feedback cable is also available. The reason they don't sell the drive cable is because it's part of the drive and it shouldn't be extended (so no extension cable).
He went away for a bit and said - in theory you are right.

There also sell a standard cable to allow used of a resistive rudder sensor so that but seems covered.

Now I dont know he spoke to, but I wondered on experiance on here.

Specifically

1 Has any one done this ( likely not!)
No, although i've fitted the "other" ECU where the cables are available, never used the clutch connection though.
2. Can anyone confirm that the Garmin pump works by having a positive voltage to make it do one way and a negative to make it go the other ?
The standard pumps are just reversible, controlled by the ECU.
3 .Any particular reason why this wont work ?
None that i can think of, but bear in mind i've not actually fitted this combination.
Logic tells me it will, but logic also tells me that if gamin had the option of making only one ECU they would have done that also.
The "other" ECU has the clutch output, so can be used with the Raymarine hydraulic drives and other mechanical drives. The ECU10 is aimed at Garmin drives, but i can't see why they couldn't use the other ECU and ignore the clutch connection. I have the other ECU on my boat with a Hynautic drive, no clutch connection.
Garmin pumps are nothing special other than they have an integrated position sensor.
Correct, they connect to the drive port for drive power and the feedback port for rudder feedback.

The drive connection looks the same as the power connection, if so, a power cable could be used, Dremmel a groove in the plug, or remove the register in the ECU socket.

jrudge

Visit site
Thank you for your reply.

I will report in due course !

I am on the boat next week and I should be able to install after a fashion and see what it does.

I am on my phone but can add a photo of the Raymarine pump shortly.

Gustywinds

Visit site
Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Gustywinds

Visit site
Sorry, but none of that is applicable to the ECU 10.
Yes, I realised that once I checked the manual for mine.
BTW, thanks for the previous help on this. I installed at Dunkerque and it worked fine straight away. Only slight hiccup was removing the setup for the old gear in the plotter. Haven’t done the automatic calibration as when we were on big canal there were a lot of commercial barges but it’s good enough. Next project is getting the engine info up.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Yes, I realised that once I checked the manual for mine.
BTW, thanks for the previous help on this. I installed at Dunkerque and it worked fine straight away. Only slight hiccup was removing the setup for the old gear in the plotter. Haven’t done the automatic calibration as when we were on big canal there were a lot of commercial barges but it’s good enough. Next project is getting the engine info up.
Good to hear it all worked for you. (y)

jrudge

Visit site
I also beleive I need an NMEA compass. At present the compass comes via the auto helm. I have 183 to 2000 converter so can I leave the old autohelm running for compass until I know it works and put an NMEA 200 on it ?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I also beleive I need an NMEA compass. At present the compass comes via the auto helm. I have 183 to 2000 converter so can I leave the old autohelm running for compass until I know it works and put an NMEA 200 on it ?
No, the CCU is the compass. I'd disconnect the old one, so it doesn't clash (depending on where it's connected.)

Reactions: vas

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The drive connection looks the same as the power connection, if so, a power cable could be used, Dremmel a groove in the plug, or remove the register in the ECU socket.
Just looked at a new ECU10 i have here and the power socket is indeed the same as the drive socket, apart from the register, a Dremmel should sort that.