Garmin InReach mini and mini 2

Perrycas

Visit site
My apologies If I am going over old ground here - I did look for threads on this. The InReach min and the mini 2. As I understand it there isn't a lot of difference other than the 2 can access a few more satellites and give you more waypoints. Wondering if anyone can comment on a preference?

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Do you work for Garmin? The Mini 2 was only announced yesterday.

The ZDnet review says that the Mini 2 has better battery life than the original Mini, and also a USB-C connector (for charging, not sure what else) instead of ye olde traditional USB. I would see no reason to favour the old one

I have always wanted an inReach SE - I prefer it to the Mini because you can text from the device itself without having to pair a tablet or mobile phone (but you can pair one if you want to).

Lots of previous threads on this forum and others.

Last edited:

Perrycas

Visit site
I didnt think that was right , the mini 2 I was sure I looked at a review of some time back. and I had a chat with Garmin several days ago about it. But I just looked it up and they said feb 3 release!
Ah, the mini I can get for a substantial amt ( $130AUD.) less. Not fussed by the battery or the plug. As I see it the mini 2 gets more satellites, which might be the deal breaker. To be honest I'd prefer to pair as I hate using small keyboards, they drive me spare. But Im listening, and will look again.
I did just check the site and cant see mention of an in reach SE.
Hiking GPS | Handheld GPS for Hikers | Garmin

KompetentKrew

Visit site
The specs pages on Garmin's website show that the Mini 2 supports the Galileo and QZSS satellite networks, but those are just the European and Japanese GPS constellations; the original Mini presumably supports only the original American GPS system.

I think this would make the Mini 2 a little more accurate, but the original Mini is probably perfectly accurate at sea and it won't make any difference - the Mini 2 would be better if you habitually go trekking in the mountains.

I would also guess that this accounts for the lower battery consumption to, as I think position acquisition is faster on newer Galileo and the device probably updates its position periodically while in sleep / standby mode.

They both use the Iridium network for communications, so I doubt the "gets more satellites" means better or more reliable communication.

The Explorer / SE are the original models of inReach, originally made by Delorme - they are identical in appearance but distinguished by different colours; the orange Explorer is the premium model, and the yellow SE the budget version. The Explorer has an electronic compass, barometer and accelerometer (no idea what that's used for), but also has some on-device maps; the SE is the core product, with GPS and the satellite messaging; I think the app, which allows you to view maps on your phone, works the same with both of them. These units were given a styling "facelift" and rebranded as Garmin after the takeover of Delorme, then Garmin released the Mini. It looks Garmin are now integrating inReach communication into their handheld GPS range - the 66i and Montana models.

I believe the SE has all the same features as the Mini, but it's larger and you can text directly from it, instead of having to pair a phone.

(I've corrected the link to the ZDnet review which was wrong in my previous comment.)

Dantp

Visit site
The old mini uses the earthmate app to connect to. This works fine and isn't being discontinued but also isn't being developed.
The new one I think uses the garmin explore app, maybe this is better? Or maybe it will be several years down the line.
We use an explore. Although we do pair it to send messages, I liked the idea of being able to send a message in an emergency situation when everything had gotten wet so no working phone.

Perrycas

Visit site
THANKS DAN TP, thanks for your input. I understand and agree with your reasoning mentioned here. I decided to buy a mini 2. While I wont be able to compare it to the previous mini, I guess I will send in any reports that look like they might be interesting to others.

Walusotu

Visit site
We all move with the times!
Who would want to buy an older version of the In-Reach which appears to have been upgraded and improved. Having said that, my earlier InReach with the Earthmate App and connected to my iPad has provided everything which has facilitated my various ocean crossings.

Perrycas

Visit site
We all move with the times!
Who would want to buy an older version of the In-Reach which appears to have been upgraded and improved. Having said that, my earlier InReach with the Earthmate App and connected to my iPad has provided everything which has facilitated my various ocean crossings.
Agreed. I bought the new one. I was just checking really, Not all new gear is always an improvement.

Visit site
I bought a Garmin Inreach Mini back in November. I used it to cross the Atlantic earlier this year (it worked really well for me), but now I had planned to sell it! What is it worth when there is a new version?

Laser310

Visit site
I bought a mini a few months ago. I think I can still return it to the retailer, so I will do so and get a mini 2.

I think the mini does at least GPS and GLONASS

My understanding is that the battery in the mini 2 is substantially better.

I think for me the main reason to get the 2 is for the new iOS app - the earthmate app is clunky, and if development of it is halted, i don't want to be stuck with it.

They are fantastic devices - I have both an Iridium 9555 handset and an Iridium Go.., and for any real offshore trip where i need data, i will use one of them. But for many things - not just sailing - the mini is perfect