Garmin GPS 72 screen repair

MoodySabre

Visit site
I’ve had this a long time and it still works fine. On a longer trip I use an iPad for navigation but just out for the day I have the GPS72 running to log hours and show speed. The screen is grazed and gone yellow so visibility is not great.
There is no gap between the screen and the body and taking it all apart is a step too far.
I’m thinking of cutting the screen out from the front and glueing a new piece of acrylic in place.
Any better ideas?

Baltika_no_9

Visit site
Although it may not be obvious how the unit could come apart it presumably is possible. Vendors on Aliexpress offer replacement screens, for example: here

If you think it's a possibility then maybe ask if they provide instructions?

Last edited:

CoralB

Visit site
It's badly crazed right through. I've order a new cover. Thanks for replying.
Hi, I have a GPS72 that does not work fully owing to a damaged circuit board. The screen is in good condition and you are welcome to it or the whole unit for spares. I will be able to explain how to take unit apart and replace parts which is not difficult.

MoodySabre

Visit site
Hi, I have a GPS72 that does not work fully owing to a damaged circuit board. The screen is in good condition and you are welcome to it or the whole unit for spares. I will be able to explain how to take unit apart and replace parts which is not difficult.
Thank you. I’ve sent for a replacement cover but if that proves too difficult I’ll message you.

Egbod

Visit site
I have split the case on a GPS 72 to get to the circuit board battery to change it.
Just remove the 6 small screws (v small Posidrive heads) on the back of the case ( one is next to the batteries - you must remove the battery cover for that one). then wriggle the front to separate it from the wide rubber joining piece and the back. (maybe use a small knife blade to start them moving)

MoodySabre

Visit site
I have one too - the screen is fading but I put it down to age.. fantastic bit of kit. Could you let us (me!) know how easy it was to fix yours when the part arrives??
The new front arrived. It was quite easy to change over. The electronics are not fixed to the cover and can be prised out gently. Very small Phillips screwdriver and a knife. Now looks as good as new.

DownWest

Visit site
I have one, but no probs with the screen, as it has not been in the sun often. I did look after your first post, but could see no join with the screen/body.
Bought it in the US for $50 a 'while' back from West Marine. Still functions happily.

Refueler

Visit site
Lot to be said about the old units ... I have both a Magellan and a basic eTrex ... they work ... Magellans a bit slow to fire up as it literally rebuilds library each time ... but the eTrex is quick and you'd never think it was so old.

I also have a Mio168 .. pocket GPS ... works but battery is shot.