Garmin Geko GPS

graham

Visit site
I am thinking of getting a handheld GPS .

Dont want loads of features, simple to, use reliable ,long life on batteries and ideally water resistant/proof are my priorities.

Anyone had a Garmin Geko like to comment good or bad.If not any similar unit that you can recommend from hard earned experience??

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
I would not go for the base model, paying a few pounds more will get you more features. For instance the Geko 101 cannot do routes and waypoints, whereas the 201 & 301 can. If you go the Garmin website <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.garmin.com>http://www.garmin.com</A> you can compare the 3 models - and any other Garmin model, and it also tells you which are the discontinued ones.
Also decide wether you will want external power and/or external aerial, I don't think any of the Geko's have this facility. Also look at the GPS 72 and 76 for not a lot more money and (apparently)22hrs battery life - I am biased, I've just got a Garmin GPS MAP76.
<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by dickh on 13/10/2003 15:03 (server time).</FONT></P>

Hurleyburly

Visit site
I've got the Garmin 12 - don't bother with the 72 it's just a 12 repackaged in a curvy box.

Mine's got good battery life and robust build quality.

I looked at the Geko, but it's more suited to hiking, mountain biking and the like i.e. it's designed for shorebased use and not for the rigours of life at sea. IMHO.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
Agreed, the Geko isn\'t a marine product, but....

...but it's not true to say the 72 is merely a repackaged 12 in a curvy box. The 72 is WAAS enabled, it has a much better screen (with 4-level gray and 3 times as many pixels!), it has more routes/waypoints, it has celestial info, it has tide predictions, it has external power capability. At about £160, it's much better value.

<hr width=100% size=1>

B

bob_tyler

Re: Agreed, the Geko isn\'t a marine product, but....

WAAS is USA. No point in UK

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
WAAS/EGNOS...

Yes, WAAS is US system, but my understanding is that the technology involved is identical to the EGNOS system which we're on the brink of getting in Europe. So I think the set will respond to both systems without problems. Maybe a GPS expert can confirm this point?

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Re: WAAS/EGNOS...

Quite correct

WAAS and EGNOS are both satellite based augmentation systems (SBAS) and if the set is WAAS enabled it will work with EGNOS when it becomes operational, some time after April 04

<hr width=100% size=1>

graham

Visit site
Thanks for all the ideas.I am getting the impression that the Geko is a bit flimsy for falling off the chart table ,being sat on etc,however it is water proof.

Is the Garmin 12 waterproof to any degree?

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
Yes, it\'s waterproof, but...

The Garmin 12 is waterproof, but it's typically around £135. For £15 more, you could have the Garmin 72 which is a much superior product (see my post below for some of the reasons).

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site

Tom, do you think the EGNOS is trial broadcasting now? I ask because my Garmin 176 is WAAS enabled and marks out some of the satellite signals as 'differential'.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk

John

The test signals are volatile right now as various SBAS satellites are switching modes, but yes you should receive corrections - here's the latest I have (from ESA). Just to unravel some of this ESTB = Egnos System Test Bed, AOR is Atlantic Ocean region (covers us) IOR = Indian Ocean region (just/barely covers the SE UK)

Regards
Tom

<font color=blue>Today 13 October 2003 the ESTB broadcasting a PRN 120 signal on AOR-E in the following modes:
* from 10/10/2003 13h04 UTC in mode 2 (fast corrections and ionosphere corrections plus Ranging) with contents of a type 2 message in each type 0 message . Broadcasting of the ESTB signal scheduled continuously until tomorrow (06h00).

IMPORTANT INFORMATION :
ESTB will stop broadcasting from AOR-E satellite (PRN120) on the 14th October 2003 ( 06h00 UTC ).
The IOR-E signal satellite (PRN131) will be suspended on the 13th October 2003 ( 09h00 UTC ).
After which ESTB will broadcast through IOR-E satellite (PRN131) on the 17nd of October.
</font color=blue>

<hr width=100% size=1>

Footpad

Visit site
I've just spent the last two years working for a Gov' Dept and we used the Garmin Etrex for a basic GPS it is excellent and is pretty robust and water resistant.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
eTrex - too basic for boat use...

The eTrex is a handy little unit, but it's rather too basic for boat use. The main problem is that it can only remember 1 route, whereas the Garmin 72 can hold 50 routes (and even the old 12 remembers 20 routes). The eTrex also has a very small screen, no WAAS/EGNOS, no celestial info, no tide predictions, etc.

<hr width=100% size=1>

StephenSails

Visit site
I agree with most of the other comments here, it might be worth not going down the pub one night this week and spend a few extra pounds. We have sold a few of the Geckos but really I see them as either backup GPS units for say a grab bag, or good for people who like do Geocaching. I love using the Garmin GPS 12

<hr width=100% size=1>Yachting Universe
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtinguniverse.com>http://www.yachtinguniverse.com</A>

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
I'm firing from the hip here without looking up the detail, but I think I'm right in saying that by modern standards the 12 is greedy on batteries.

<hr width=100% size=1>John
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.allgadgets.co.uk>http://www.allgadgets.co.uk</A>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Looks like the GPS12 is about 50% hungrier based on quoted battery life (GPS72 takes 2xAA gives 16 hours, GPS12 takes 4xAA gives 24 hours).

This is consistent with recent developments which have reduced consumption.

<hr width=100% size=1>

graham

Visit site
A friend of mine is going to let me have a play with his Garmin 72, apparently he usually powers it through the 12 volt power lead .Can the 12 also run on 12 volts ?

Many thanks to all who have responded,its looking like either a 72 or a 12 if Im feeling stingy.To be honest Iam not a big fan of electronics with millions of functions I prefer the KISS principle.

At one time Iwas the only person in my club with a Decca installed I remember crossing Camarthen Bar bound for Ferryside Yacht club ,3 other boats all line astern behind me brimming with confidence due to my miracle Decca.

What they didnt know is It was having an off day and wasnt actually working at the time....

<hr width=100% size=1>